• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:44:10 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Slanting mullarkey

Started by barkar, September 30, 2013, 10:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barkar

Read the article , seems like i have a lot to do if i am going to use this Conan Yeast to its full potential. How many slants could one get out of the pitch pack ? Would ye pitch into new wort  or just innoculate , where would ye get the necessary gear , seem some  cryo tubes on ebay fairly cheap,
Must procure a pressure cooker some where.....

Hop Bomb

Pitch most of the pack in a brew & save a little bit for slanting in a clean & sterile container in the fridge. HBW have cryo tubes. Inoculate one or all of the cryo tubes with the bit of yeast you saved if you want (think there 12-15 pearls in each tube) then freeze those tubes.

Then you can make a slant from one pearl when you've all your kit together (you can borrow my pressure cooker - or do what tube does & microwave them) Then when that one slant takes off you can inoculate more slants from that one slant.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

barkar

Would freezing the yeast not kill off the cells , sorry starting this from a very knowledge deficient starting point on this !I was contemplating doing a starter to build up to a 40 litre brew , put some pearls in a cryo tube and then use for slants ?

Hop Bomb

No cell damage if you freeze them in the cryo tubes. Its got glycol solution in there or similar.

johnrm

Are we slanting or freezing here?
Freezing with glycol is a different process.
There was a mention of the coldest party of the fridge, not the freezer.

Hop Bomb

Quote from: johnrm on October 01, 2013, 07:21:31 AM
Are we slanting or freezing here?

Both. Cryo tubes for freezing the cells for long term storage. Then make one slant from one pearl - when that grows you can inoculate more slants & store them in the fridge for your yeast starters.

johnrm

So Freeze the Agar slants then?

Hop Bomb

No. Yer freezing some yeast in the cryo tubes. Then you remove a pearl or two of yeast from these to make slants as you need them.

Someone should really do a youtube video or guide as there is zero info on it anywhere. Even the instructions with the cryo tubes are a bit vague.

barkar

They seem like the easier option as i dont have all the gear yet. So drop 25 pearls into a tube and freeze . Then when have gear for slanting take 'em out and put 1 pearl per slant so effectively you have 25 long term usuable pitches from each cryotube ? Sounds good   

Hop Bomb

The cryo tubes have 25 pearls in each tube. You get 4 tubes for 15e in HBW.

You put some yeast in the tube, close the lid & shake it up with the solution thats in there & then freeze the tube.
Then you can just take 1 pearl out & make one slant. When that slant grows a few days later you can inoculate more
slants from that slant. Im guessing you could get maybe 10 slants from 1 pearl. So 250 slants from one cryo tube.
Then add in reusing yeast from brews & you'll probably never run out.

Shane Phelan

Quote from: Hop Bomb on October 01, 2013, 09:19:16 AM
Someone should really do a youtube video or guide as there is zero info on it anywhere. Even the instructions with the cryo tubes are a bit vague.

Would you be interested in doing a small guide on the cryo tubes as while slanting is fine for medium term, I find your experience with the cryo would be useful information to brewers for the long term?
Brew Log

johnrm

Sorry, the subject was slanting and I thought referred to the recent (and super) slanting how to.
Should we do similar on Cryo?

Shane Phelan

It definitely seems to be a viable option.
Brew Log

Hop Bomb

There isnt much to it really. Just chuck in some yeast in the cryo tube - shake it - freeze it. Then when you want to slant just take out a pearl, inoculate your agar in the slant & let it grow. Then a few days later you make slants off that slant instead of a vial of white labs for example.

barkar

Quote from: shiny on October 01, 2013, 11:12:04 AM
Quote from: Hop Bomb on October 01, 2013, 09:19:16 AM

Would you be interested in doing a small guide on the cryo tubes as while slanting is fine for medium term, I find your experience with the cryo would be useful information to brewers for the long term?

Looks like i will be calling in to HBW in the next week !