• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 06:30:18 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Slanting mullarkey

Started by barkar, September 30, 2013, 10:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eanna

I was going to do something like in this link. The appeal over slanting is long term storage (over 2 years) and if you have your quantities right it's already at a pitchable number of viable cells when you defrost it. Realistically I'm only going to want to use this yeast a couple of times a year so I was liking this idea.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/guide-making-frozen-yeast-bank-35891/

Hop Bomb

It would only be at a pitchable rate if you froze an entire 2 litre starter worth of yeast for every brew you plan on freezing/storing for. If you plan on using this a few times a year then you'd want 10 litre starter worth of conan yeast frozen wouldnt you?

On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

eanna

This link says it can give a pitchable qty of viable yeast.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/freezing-yeast.html

"WHY: The method(s) described below is sufficient for storing cells in portions large enough to pitch directly (50-200 billion cells, similar to the amount in a smack pack from Wyeast or a tube from White Labs) (See Figure 1). Nevertheless, we recommend an overnight starter to ensure a large number of viable cells and rapid initiation of fermentation. "

Hop Bomb

50 billion cells is only enough for 5 gallons of 1.013 OG beer. 200 billion cells is enough for 1.055 beer. (mr.malty calculator)  Big difference between the two.

I dont see how he can get 8-10 vials of pitchable quantity yeast from one 2 litre starter. You'd defo have to do multiple 2 litre starters to bank enough pitchable yeast for 4 or 5 brews.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

eanna

I'll probably freeze some straight from the pack, do a 5gal brew and harvest from that to freeze more. I've been collecting jars that are larger than the usual vial. 1 starter step for them then should be grand.

irish_goat

Lads, do you'se reckon you could post frozen yeast and then refreeze? Or would it need to be pitched as soon as it arrived?

Kevco5

I'm sure you could keep it in the fridge for a while until you are using it. Refreezing could damage the cells further.