• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:25:20 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

October Hops-over fest

Started by brettdundee, October 02, 2013, 10:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettdundee

G'day all,

I have a problem you might be able to help me with .....
I have way too many hops and I don't wish to see them go to waste.  I don't have time to pick dry and sell them.

If your interested in picking some free fresh hops for your next brew, I have lots of Fuggles and Cascade and some Kent Goldings.

I was thinking of having a bit of a get-together in next couple of weeks, where we could -

1) pick hops for your next brew,
2) discuss brews, growing/processing hops, and any other shite.
3) try making hop teas to compare bitterness between varieties, and indoor vs outdoor.
4) sample a home brew or three

If you want to chip in ~€10 euros, I'll get some supplies and we can cook up a storm on the bbq.

At the moment its looking like 12th or 19th October, depend on availability of hops and people.

We had a great afternoon last year. You can read about it here http://www.beoir.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6687&start=135

cheers
Brett

johnrm

Good man Brett,
Great craic last year.
I'm on for the 19th. Will the hops survive until then?

barkar

Where abouts in Limerick are ye ? 

barkar

Quote from: barkar on October 03, 2013, 10:01:06 AM
Where abouts in Limerick are ye ?

Meant to also say is this open to non Mid west brewers ?

brettdundee

QuoteI'm on for the 19th. Will the hops survive until then?

They are ready now, so hopefully we don't get to much bad weather before then.  Most of the crop is well protected.  I think the 19th is better option as it will give me more time to beat down the crop of dock leaves and nettles that are obstructing access.

Shanna

Quote from: Il Tubo on October 03, 2013, 11:20:38 AM
Iirc Brett is in Birdhill.

Birdhill is in Tipperary, last time I checked ;-)

Shann (Limerick man living in South County Dublin) 
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

brettdundee

Quoteis this open to non Mid west brewers ?

I sure we can squeeze in a few outsiders if the usual Limerick shyness/apathy prevails.

Some of last years crew moved overseas, but so far we have
Chris
Sammy7p
loftybush  ???
qazxsw
johnrm

Hopefully some of the other Limerick brewers might see it in time.

Please send me a pm with your email address because we have a email thread that's easier to communicate with.

regards
Brett

brettdundee

QuoteBirdhill is in Tipperary, last time I checked ;-)

Boy - Ye Limerick people are touchy about your borders ...  only too keen to take over Clare ! Are the Tipperary bog lands not good enough for ye?

If I was going to most of Tipperary I wouldn't start from here. I'd drive to Limerick and start from there.

Shanna

Quote from: brettdundee link=tospic=4166.msg51607#msg51607 date=1380829453
QuoteBirdhill is in Tipperary, last time I checked ;-)

Boy - Ye Limerick people are touchy about your borders ...  only too keen to take over Clare ! Are the Tipperary bog lands not good enough for ye?

If I was going to most of Tipperary I wouldn't start from here. I'd drive to Limerick and start from there.

Not touchy just like to know what what :) In facta most Tipp lads I know (5 first cousins included) would have a fit oif you described them as being from Limerick.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

johnrm

Limerick is a small enough county without foreigners encroaching. ;-)

brettdundee

Well, if we are goin to have all these foreigners, (myself included), methinks we'll need some more refreshments.

Somehow today (I'm still not sure how), in-between a vet visit, a village photo shoot, daughters basketball, sons swim lesson, 2 hour bag pack for tidy towns, coaching  a soccer team, watching Munster win, & visitors for dinner, I bore the wrath of the missus, and managed to pick some hops and fit in a 50 liter extract brew pale ale. This evening I split batch and turned one half into a pumpkin lager that I have been meaning to try for last few Halloweens.

johnrm

Busy day Brett, I'll bring a keg and some bottles too for variety.

brettdundee

I should have enough  ;). I have a Irish stout and Aussie Pale Ale. Then then the pale ale and pumpkin lager I started on the weekend. Then tonight I found a full corny of ginger beer I didn't know I had.

I always welcome the opportunity to try the produce of other's, so you're very welcome to bring along some samples.

Bzfeale80

If ye don't mind 'another foreigner' in the group I would like to join ye for this  ;D

Brett I sent you a pm

brettdundee

QuoteIf ye don't mind 'another foreigner' in the group I would like to join ye for this

Your welcome. Including you, the tally currently stands at ;

Foreigners      Limerick
14                         2