• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 05:04:12 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Blind Pig - home brewers meetings - how often etc.?

Started by Marek2200, July 18, 2015, 06:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marek2200

Hi there,

I have brewed eleven batches of different sorts of beer so far so I am rather beginner. I live in Limerick, Castletroy. I have seen that you had few meetings in Blind Pig during last months. Do you meet there regularly or it is just from time to time? Are there any beginners within your group or you are all experienced home brewers?

I am not Irish so forgive me for potential language errors.
Thank you in advance for any answers.
Regards

Keg

Hi Marek,

I've been to one meeting so far also, myself and BavarianGal are based in Castletroy too and have just been brewing since January so there are beginners!   The other lads who were there have been brewing for alot longer than us and it was great to meet up and swap some beers.

We haven't met up since June but I'll try to arrange something for the next few weeks, you should come along if you are available!

Marek2200

@Keg

Thank you for reply! So there are few home brewers here in Castletroy. It is good news:) Thanks for the other piece of information. I hope I am able to come to the home brewers meeting in the future.

And one more question - which shop with beer, here in Castletroy, do you think is the best? In my opinion O'Briens in the Parkway has the widest range of good beers.

Keg

O'Briens definitely has the best selection, I go there often enough for a look, quite a few of the beers that are in O'Briens are also in Dunnes Parkway for a bit cheaper. 

Actually the Supervalu in Castletroy (used to be SuperQuinn) also has a pretty good selection too - worth a look!

Marek2200

@Keg

"I go there often enough for a look" - I do the same, I come there sometimes just to have a look :) But definitely I prefer to go out from there with a box full of various sorts of craft beers :)

brettdundee

Hi Marek and welcome.
The brewers meetings are pretty ad-hoc in Limerick. Usually when someone gets thirsty.  Some people don't look at the forum too often (especially me) and only find out about meetups after the event. Last year I started a twitter account https://twitter.com/limerickbrewers so interested parties could follow @limerickbrewers and be warned of upcoming events.  So if anyone is planning a meetup please PM me and I'll send a tweet. I'm up to 8 tweets now.... in total...  for my whole life.. and they are all for Limerick brewers

johnrm

Marek2200

BavarianGal

Welcome Marek! :)

Good to have more people around Limerick/Castletroy!

We should arrange a meeting soon! Keg and I have some beers ready to be tasted! :)  :o

Hahahaha! :D Maybe I finally need to get a twitter account! :D

Marek2200

Bavarian Gal

So I have to look at the forum more often. I don't have a twitter account as well. Actually I don't have even facebook account ;)

Chris

Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

Marek2200

He he - I presume that it is very hard to arrange meeting. One can come on Friday, others cannot on Friday but Saturday is ok etc. :)

How many of you approximately attend meetings in the Blind Pig? Additionally, I am curious why did you choose Blind Pig? Perhaps the barman is a home brewer? ;)

tipp brewer

Maybe we could look at end of august beginning of sept, summer not great with holidays for people i guess. Not great for brewing with rise in temperature for me as i ve no temp control. I did manage to bottle a bitter recently which was supposed to be a light session beer but ended up just shy of 5% due to high attenuation from mangrove jack workhorse yeast. Should be carbonated in another week or two. Might get a chance to do a saison soon if my time management permits but that probably won't be ready  for next meet up. Would be interesting to see where everyone is coming from before deciding venue if there are pockets of us we could do home and away venues not that blind pig isn't a nice venue. Might be a good way to open up local pub interest in craft beer. What ye think?

Keg

Yeah, I'd be up for meeting anywhere within reason that we can get to. End of August would suit me, maybe we can firm up a date in a few weeks and decide on a bar then.

We've got a Dunkelweizen, cider (both raffle kits), a Belgian Dubbel, and a Kolsch for tasting. Have nothing fermenting at the moment so it'll be a while before we've anything else to add.

Chris

Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack