• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 12:38:46 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Yeast for 2016 Apple Juice

Started by phynes1, November 01, 2016, 01:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phynes1

Not sure if this was discussed elsewhere. But I was just wondering what peoples opinions are on the best yeast to use for the upcoming apple juice from the group buy? I've 25l of balanced and 25l of dry ordered.

PH

phynes1

PH

irish_goat

Leann ull

No nutrient required just campden and yeast
You could take a gamble and let it do its own thing but that's a big risk as it could turn to vinegar if something else gets hold, i know I know plenty do it blah blah, split your batch up into 2 if your feeling lucky

Will_D

If you and SWMBO like the smell of Hydrogen Sulphide then skip the nutrient!

Ferment out doors nice and cool (highly recomended), then only the neighbors will get it.

People who ferment indoors ( abit warm) notice a fair old bang for the first month or so!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Leann ull

Your not fermenting if your not farting

phynes1

Cheers, i got the juice last year and didnt add campden, the few bottles I've had, i really enjoyed the funky flavours of the wild yeast. Still have a full keg of it thats getting drank at Christmas.

PH

Bubbles

Quote from: Will_D on November 01, 2016, 08:46:59 PM
If you and SWMBO like the smell of Hydrogen Sulphide then skip the nutrient!

Will, I think you've just solved the mystery of why my 2014 cider turned out sulphurous.. I just checked my notes, and I used a fair bit of nutrient. I always assumed that I had added too much campden when the juice was delivered. What's the science behind not using nutrient in the fermentation?

Incidentally, the following year's juice I didn't put enough campden in because of what happened the previous year, and the natural yeasties/beasties took hold first. I ended up with a pellicle, and huge globs of waxy looking stuff floating in the cider that just wouldn't sink. Sadly, it ended up down the drain, as I just wasn't arsed kegging or bottling it.

BrewDorg

Does he not mean that leaving out the nutrient will cause the smell?

Might as well jump in here. I'm going to use a saison yeast for the juice, not decided which one yet. Any recommendations? Thinking belle saison or 3711.

Also, does anyone have experience in keeping a few litres of the juice aside and back sweetening the finished fermented juice with that? I'll probably force carb so no issue with adding sugary juice.

Bubbles

Quote from: BrewDorg on November 02, 2016, 12:39:40 PM
Does he not mean that leaving out the nutrient will cause the smell?

:-[

Just re-read Will's comment. Yes, you're right.

Bubbles

Quote from: CH on November 02, 2016, 12:44:38 PM
Quote from: Bubbles on November 02, 2016, 12:01:45 PM
a fair bit

Define... ;)

Errr.. notes are a bit sketchy on amounts.

It would have a been a sachet of one of these lads, per drum of juice -

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/super-yeast-nutrient-for-25lt-of-wine-p-1376.html

Doesn't give weight measurement.. :(

mr hoppy

Was just looking at this

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/wordpress/2013/06/a-visit-to-tempted/

From speaking to Con before I don't think he pitches any yeast at, just relying on the natural goodness but it sounds like Davy does pitch a cultured yeast.

Any ideas what it might be?

Leann ull

mr hoppy

Seems like it's not WLP anyway as the interview sez cool pitch and that sez 20-24 degrees, which come to thing of it surely must be wrong? That's a crazy temp to pitch into cider at.