• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 02:18:13 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

apple juice

Started by tipp brewer, November 10, 2016, 08:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keg

Mine are between 18-20 now, that's fine for the start of fermentation and the temp should come down over the coming weeks.  I have them in the coldest room in the house as far as possible from the rads.  It turned out fine last year and then I left it outside from around Xmas to mid February before bottling.  The MJ cider yeast says it has a range from 12-28 degrees.  Are you using a lager yeast?

beernut

That's a big temp range for a yeast. I'm using california ale yeast and fermenting at 18 degree's in the coldest part of the house. I pitched the starter around 4 and it's up and running already which leads me to think the campden didn't do its job and fermentation had started.

Keg

beernut

I used 15 tablets. Followed instructions on other thread. I'm not too bothered to be honest. As long as it's fermenting I'm happy. The juice is good quality and fresh so should get a decent cider out of it.

tipp brewer

Well I arrived back to find a nice thick krausen on the Tipperary aj. I haven't had the chance to add yeast so I guess it was up and running, I only put in 8 Camden tabs so I guess that wasn't enough. Anyway I ll let it go do its own thing now. Anyone know if its worth adding nutrient to the wild yeast. My other batch is bubblng away temp is 14 in the hallway, trying to find the balance between keeping the kids warm and cider cold. Lots of jumpers for the kids I think

beernut

What's the smell like with the natural yeast Leo? 

tipp brewer

Its kinda slightly sour apple kind of smell, you have to smell into the actual container, I d say its only really starting though as the temps are low though decent krausen which is till growing. I did 5 litres of the Dublin juice without yeast and its been fermenting for a few days and that smells more like cider than juice. The rest of the batch has that sulpher fatty smell though its not shockingly bad, maybe I m just pretty smell tolerant. No real krausen on that one, just a steady fizz.

evansannagh

Well checked the AJ today and down to 1.001 looking good tasting good only a bit dry😉

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Leann ull

Potential to drop to 995
It will be all be dry, mix with 20% apple juice and let us know how you get on.

tipp brewer

Interesting, my first batch is down to 1.007 and tasting pretty dry, the later batch is au natural and down to 1.030, I think it had actually stopped so I moved it to a warmer room again and we re off again. It actually tasted fab though clearly still plenty of sugar in there I have 2 cornys to scrub in the shed which I LL be transferring the to in a few weeks. I LL be bottling so will probably have to sweeten, was thinking stevia, anyone tried this before.

Dracusse

I think stevia will add kind of artifical taste ... use xylitol instead more natural taste

Leann ull

Good luck with that it has laxative properties
Just cut your cider with apple juice when drinking if you want something naturally sweet.

Dunkel

I've tried Splenda with previous batches with SHMBO approval  :)

molc

Quote from: Dracusse on November 27, 2016, 06:28:24 PM
I think stevia will add kind of artifical taste ... use xylitol instead more natural taste
Used it before to great effect. Brought the sweetness up on 19L with about 10 tablespoons and it tasted very natural. Try it in a measured test sample to dial in the sweetness you want. SWMBO is normally a good trial subject ;)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Dunkel

Oh yeah, "who" begins with a "W"  :-[