• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 27, 2024, 06:43:39 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Mini IPA 2.8%

Started by marceldesailly, January 09, 2013, 08:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_goat

Also APA is not considered "session" in Ireland.

marceldesailly

Quote from: brewerhooer on September 10, 2013, 04:17:36 PM
@marceldesailly Just wondering if you got around to brewing this one again and if so how did the extra crystal and dry hopping go for you? I am interested in doing this one soon.

Hi, I actually didnt do the follow up as I suggested- well I didnt but I made a mistake with the yeast I had grown up and so it was not comparible at all! (I miss read my normally very legible writing and grew up some abbey yeast and didn't realise until it was ready to be pitched)

The original one was v tasty and did taste more than than the 2.8%.  I'd say give that recipe I did a go to get a baseline and see what you think, and then add more crystal or other specialities as suits your palate. But the extra crystal wouldnt harm it.

As for the label on the beer style, call it whatever you want.

Dr Horrible

Kernel Brewery in London (Irish brewer, from Waterford I think) do a similar type beer called 'Table Beer', also about 2.8% and probably one of my favourites beers ever - hoppier than most English IPAs, a real flavour bomb, worth looking out for for anyone visiting East London.  My brother-in-law is a home brewer and lives in London fairly close to their base and has been chatting to Evan, the head brewer and asked him about the recipe because he couldn't replicate it - we originally thought it was an old style 'small beer' but it turns out he uses a recipe similar to this one, but he uses a mash temp of 77deg! He's also a big believer in using dry hopping to add bitterness as well as aroma, so puts most of the hops in after the boil.  All very counter-intuitive but believe me, it works out very well.  I'm definitely going to try out this recipe, looks great.