• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 10, 2024, 01:43:57 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Strawberry Cider.

Started by Greg2013, October 28, 2013, 06:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

STRAWBERRY CIDER.

4 litres Aldi Apple Juice

500 ml Ribena Strawberry

1tsp Pectolase

1tsp Glycerine

1tsp Citric Acid

Vintners Harvest SN-9 Wine Yeast

Boil 2 litres of the apple juice and 500ml of the strawberry ribena in a pan for ten minutes on a rolling boil.

Pour the other 2litres apple juice into a clean demijohn and pour the cooled down mix from the pot on top of this.

Throw in your pectolase,citric acid,glycerine and shake well to mix. Pitch yeast once 25 celsius has been achieved.

After 2-3 days primary fermentation top up to bottom of neck with more apple juice and leave a minimum of 3 weeks total in primary.

This turned out with no real taste of strawberry at all, instead a strange woody/nutty flavour and aroma very reminiscent of a wheat beer. Not expected but very pleasent nonetheless.

The SN-9 dropped it very clear after 3 weeks in primary, i suspect i will have a difficult time bottle conditioning this. May have to reseed with a pinch of wine yeast in each bottle before filling.

SG: 1062

FG: 996

ABV: 8.8% abv.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Quote from: Il Tubo on October 28, 2013, 07:54:45 PM
Quote from: Greg2013 on October 28, 2013, 06:28:00 PMaroma very reminiscent of a wheat beer.

I have found that with some wine yeast.

I fermented an ale (English bitter) with wine yeast for the gallery a while back and it came out wheat beery.

Whew good to know it was not just my imagination. It is relatively subtle but i must work out the best way to add in some strawberry flavour before i bottle ?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Quote from: Il Tubo on October 28, 2013, 08:10:52 PM
I'd say just stick it in the shed for a year. It'll probably be epic when you take it out again!

Not a bad idea though i doubt this 5lt will see Christmas lol. Off the back of this though i plan on a bigger batch soon, must try a gallon with the blackcurrant ribena first though.

Greg2013

Quote from: Il Tubo on October 28, 2013, 08:34:43 PM
Play the long game Greg. Beer is for now, wine is for next year! (I recently made a few wines but I plan on leaving them in the shed for a year.)

Indeed but this is cider  ???