• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 08:14:49 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brewery Controllers

Started by Sorcerers Apprentice, December 14, 2014, 01:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorcerers Apprentice

Has anyone fitted one of these systems ?
I've emailed them to see what shipping costs are involved, there is also a more expensive option with more inputs and outputs with fermentation control included,
https://www.brewershardware.com/BCS-460-Brewery-Control-System.html
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

pob

Do you want it for homebrew or commercial use? What do you want it to do?

There might be less costly options out there for homebrew use.

BrewPi is a handy, relatively inexpensive fermentation controller (they are also working on a HERMS version).

For remote/web based brewday control, an Arduino with Temp sensors, relay/SSRs control and a web interface might be all you need.

Sorcerers Apprentice

It's for home, I like the idea of a data logger plus it seems to replace the need for separate PID controllers saving some panel space

Will_D

It looks like a sexy piece of kit that does nothing until you add a load of sensors/actuators/SSR and then spend a long time describing/documenting the "State Machine" that is your brewery. The when you have at least captured the State Machine you then have to code it, set the limits, set the deired parameters and last but not least debug-it

Not a task that I would describe as "Simples - Squeak"

Did I say I love the Meerkats ;)
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Sorcerers Apprentice

Will,
I'll need the ancillary bits whether I go with PIDs or with this baby, if I was to put in 3 pid controllers I wouldn't see much change from €100 and in a few timers and we're almost at the same price, the android screenshots look better to me than the apple app. I'll await their response re shipping before making up my mind

johnrm

I say go for it - It's Christmas!

...plus you pricked up ears and I'm keen to see how you get on.

In theory, the batch size you are working on is irrelevant once your Vessels/Heating and Cooling are matched.
If you perfect your process on smaller kit, this offers consistency if scaling up to greater volumes.

Sorcerers Apprentice

Plus the data logger it what really interests me, lots can happen during your brew day, door bell, phone calls, etc much later you taste the fruit of your work and find it's much better/worse than normal. You can look back at temps/times and shed some light on the differences

Beerbuddha

IBD Member

Sorcerers Apprentice

johnrm

Not bad at all. Expect import duty.

Sorcerers Apprentice

John I posted in another thread I'm off to the states over the "Holidays" so I'll have it posted to my address there. (I was going to say have it posted internally but that sounds too painful)
The guy said that their international postage is through USPS and based in package size rather than weight, 1 programmer works out at $25 but the next size up costs $45 and it would fit a few programmers

pob

Brand new BrewPi Spark might also work, ~€125.

http://www.brewpi.com/blog/

Now doing HERMS, could be a real alternative.

Mightn't be as easy to home build  >:(