• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:15:59 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Can anyone figure this out

Started by baphomite51, June 09, 2014, 10:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baphomite51

Done a brew yesterday my pre-boil geavity was 1.036 which was spot on and my volume was 17.8L. I boiled for 1 hour and after whirl pooling and cooling wort I had 13L with a gravity of 1.041. How is this possibly where did the sugars go? I also took a gravity reading near the end if the boil and it came out at 1.046. All readings were temperature corrected and checked twice with hydrometer and refractomoer.

ferg

Just plugged that into the second calc on this page (http://www.brewersfriend.com/dilution-and-boiloff-gravity-calculator/) , came back 1.048... seems your not too far off with 1.046. Is it the missing .002 you're aggrieved about?

DEMPSEY

When you say where has all the sugars gone well they are still there :). As you boiled the wort the water amount has boiled off thus raising the gravity from 1036 to 1046. i.e. more concentrated :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Bazza

If I'm reading correctly, you're wondering why the gravity dropped from 1046 to 1041 between the end of the boil and the cooling?

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

baphomite51

Yes Barry your right 5minutes before end of boil I took sample which I let cool and took the gravity which was 1.046. Then after cooling the wort I took a sample and the gravity of this was 1.041. So my OG is 1.041 and it should be around 1.046-48. Wat happened?

ferg

You used a plate or immersion chiller?? you might have had water leaking in from the immersion.. although you lost 4.9 in the boil so that seems about right.. do you know exactly how much you lose to evaporation?

baphomite51

Quote from: ferg on June 09, 2014, 01:05:59 PM
You used a plate or immersion chiller?? you might have had water leaking in from the immersion.. although you lost 4.9 in the boil so that seems about right.. do you know exactly how much you lose to evaporation?

I used an immersion chiller. I usually lose about 4.5L from boil. But as I said I only came out with 13L so volumes are ok it's like the sugars just disappeared. Could they bind to hop bags or something?

baphomite51

Oh and non of the connections for chiller are over the pot and no leaks because the pressure/flow was normal from it

imark

Most likely a misreading. You won't lose gravity to hops.
Have you considered stratification of the wort? It's always good to make sure everything is well mixed before taking a reading but that's more an issue for extract or kit brewing.

JD

I bet it was bubbles on the hydrometer making the thing more bouyant. Always spin the hydrometer to shake off bubbles before taking a reading.
/JD

baphomite51

Maybe it could of been the wort wasn't mixed up I let it sit for a while to let the trub settle? I guess I'll have to drink one after another and see how quick I get drunk  :P