• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:07:39 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Couple of questions for Wine Kit Experts

Started by Lebunim, December 22, 2014, 02:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lebunim

December 22, 2014, 02:22:45 PM Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:34:19 PM by Lebunim
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to Wine Kit brewing,

I have few question I was asking myself over and over again....

1. When racking off multiple times, do I lose alcohol % and/or taste? I did racking 3 times with my first wine kit. As there was a lot of sediment and yeasty taste. Second batch seems to be more fruity and better balanced.
2. My first 7 day kit has yeasty taste, it has improved after few days but still has a yeasty smell and bit of taste.. Will that go away? (I have them already bottled....
3. In my bottles I see small bit of sediment. Will that melt somehow or dissolve over time? If not, what impact to my wine taste it will have?
4. So far I have been brewing Red wine kits and temp. recommended on the leaflet says 21-26'C would higher or lower temp. allow better taste?? Does it matter? I have pretty warm apartment averaging of 23'C... Overnight it may drop to 21'C...

Please try to help better understand,

Much appreciated,

Lebunim

LordEoin

1. You're racking to remove the yeast, stabilizer, finings, and other insolubles. you shouldnt lose % or wanted taste, but you lose the sediment in your bottle that could lead to off flavors later on
2. The 7 day kits can often leave some yeasty flavors as they're deigned to rush the job. it should fade.
3. the sediment in the bottle wont melt away, it'll get more compact. I've never noticed off flavors with a little sediment. wines with a lot of sediment generall taste like crap to me though, especially if gets kicked back up when pouring.
4. That depends on the yeast. lower temperatures generally ferment cleaner, but some of the wine yeasts like the higher end to get some extra flavor in there. Keeping the temperature stable is as important.