• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 09:49:22 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Noob-Dry hopping question

Started by Ulex1, April 24, 2019, 10:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulex1

Hi, im about a week into brewing a coopers ipa kit and was wondering about adding hops. I have hop pellets and muslin bags. Should I open the lid and just throw the bag in or would this risk contamination and oxidation and dragging krausen into the brew? Should I wait until fermentation is finished, transfer the brew into my bottling bucket/secondary fermenter then add the hops and let it sit for a week before bottling or would this cause oxidation and premature spoiling of the Beer? Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated, cheers

BrewDorg

Don't bother with a secondary, toss them right into your primary bucket. Boil the muslin bags for 5-10 mins before using them to minimise risk of contamination.

Slight risk of oxidation when opening the lid, but wouldn't worry about it at all. There's no risk or downsides of dragging krausen in either, it'll all settle out once you give it some time.

Ulex1

LordEoin

with pellets, if i'm gonna cold crash in primary I'd often throw them in neat without a bag.
they sink eventually and go down the drain with the trub.
i cant remember any time any ended up in my glass

Raxy

I don't cold crash my beers but I threw hops in without a bag & the bottle filling stick kept getting clogged. Was fine in the bottles but lost a few litres because of it.

LordEoin

leaf or pellets?
pellet gunk usually just falls out with the yeast etc

CH

Sanitise kids marbles and into the bag, gently lower to minimise oxidation.
Or just chuck in and use sanitised bag I've the end of your siphon

Raxy

CH

Chuck em in and 3-5 days (only takes 24-48hours exposure to impart flavour), you will get floaters and sinkers, siphon in between and Mary is your Aunt

LordEoin

I use marbles too for leaf. Super handy! ;)
If you have pellet floaters, palm punch the FV a few times and they drop out.