• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:52 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Water profile for Lough Gill

Started by darragh, November 27, 2020, 12:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darragh

Hi,

Has anyone done a water profile around Sligo?
My water source is Lough Gill so hoping someone might have done a water profile and would be open to sharing the numbers

Thanks

BeermanB)

If you go onto irish water website they have all the reports of any big water resivoir, if you are on a small scheme they may not have it though

darragh

Thanks for that, it provides a lot of the parameters needed to create a water profile.
The only parameter I couldn't find is calcium

BeermanB)

I think you can buy tests for calcium for not too much, Not sure how accurate it will be to the miligram though

darragh

Some of the test kits for fish keeping have calcium tests but the resolution is around 5mg/l and not accurate under 20 mg/L https://fluvalaquatics.com/us/product/calcium-test-kit/

mr hoppy

That level of accuracy is plenty good enough for home brewing purposes.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

bighoppapump

I live out in Drumcliffe and my water comes from a private supply from the mountain. I had my water tested in Murphy labs in England at Christmas and got the following profile:

Calcium 69ppm
Magnesium 11ppm
Chloride 19ppm
Sulphate 15ppm
Alkalinity(asCaCO3) 192

Might be helpful for someone on a similar supply. I also tested it with the salifert kits so I could see how accurate they are and they aren't far off the numbers I got from the lab report. The report was only about 50 quid if you wanted to get one but you need to post it from the north as An Post won't let you post any liquids  :(

DEMPSEY

That's soft enough water you have. Do you use Beersmith3. If so you can enter this in the water section as your water and then it makes it easy for you to apply any water profile you want with simple adjustment.

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

bighoppapump

Quote from: DEMPSEY on April 16, 2021, 09:59:57 PMThat's soft enough water you have. Do you use Beersmith3. If so you can enter this in the water section as your water and then it makes it easy for you to apply any water profile you want with simple adjustment.

Its on my list of things to try out. I went down the painful route of trying to understand water profiles and adjustments ala leaving cert chemistry textbooks and the relevant sections in How To Brew 4th ed. I think I have it close enough anyways as the only brews I had issue with before were light ale or lager styles like cream ale. Then tended to have a plasticy kind of taste to them. I figured it was due to the high residual alkalinity and add enough calcium (sulfate and chloride) to reduce the alkalinity and my first lager since (a helles) is absent of this plasticy taste.

I think I'll give Beersmith a go in future to see what its all about though