• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:02:16 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

What do we want to achieve in 2016

Started by danger_zone, November 26, 2015, 04:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danger_zone

Almost the new year lads. It was a good first year for the club and we picked up a good few new members along the way. Where do we want to go from here club-wise.

Here's some things I think:

Tours - we only got the one in but I really enjoyed it. We should definitely get organised and do a few more
Competition - We were talking about this at the Brew Day. We should develop this idea and look in to hosting one
Brew Days - More of them. Sure they're just gas craic
Group Buy - Hop group buy maybe? Maybe get the North County/Swords boys in on it. We can't let our vac packer go to waste

What do yis think?
fermenting - peach wheat, mango wheat

drinking - whiskey stout

itsclinto

I agree with all your points.  I think you've mentioned all the things that we probably can do, just need a time frame to do them all which might be a bit much.

Tours - there's Brehon, Bru and Boyne which are near us all.  There's probably one or two north of dundalk that i don't know of.
Competition - i think the lads said that it might be best to have a few of us do the bjcp exam first before hosting any competition and then we'll have internal judges for our monthly meets  ;)
Brew Days - I quite enjoyed these too.  Vantastival might be a good laugh again next year or if somebody has an idea of another event that isn't wetter inside than it is outside  :P  Might be just as easy to organise a pub brew day for ourselves, just change a meeting from Friday to Saturday.
Group Buy - A dose of hops would be nice especially if we could get our hands on the expensive ones for a fraction of the cost

Can't think of anything else as you mentioned everything!

helmet

Sounds good! I'd go for all of the above. I think if we're going to push on as a club  we definitely need a few heads to get BJCP'd up.
Wasn't there talk of getting an off flavours kit (or whatever it's called) as an intermediary till another course comes up?
Definitely aim for a couple of tours in 2016, I know Boyne were up for it, so I could get in touch for a date in the new year if yis fancy?

Will_D

Great posting guys. You can always count on yer NCB neighbours to help out with GBs and Comps.

Re. The comment on judging: Not sure who of yous sat the recent exam but even if you are thinking of future BJCP exams then any judging you do now WILL count towards your BJCP judging/organising points if and when you sit the exam.

I was sceptical about this but fair play to the BJCP my early points were all credited!

Just need to get better at sitting the tasting exam (which is easy compared to the online exam!!)
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

helmet

Quote from: Will_D on November 26, 2015, 07:58:44 PM
Great posting guys. You can always count on yer NCB neighbours to help out with GBs and Comps.

Re. The comment on judging: Not sure who of yous sat the recent exam but even if you are thinking of future BJCP exams then any judging you do now WILL count towards your BJCP judging/organising points if and when you sit the exam.

I was sceptical about this but fair play to the BJCP my early points were all credited!

Just need to get better at sitting the tasting exam (which is easy compared to the online exam!!)
Thanks Will, how often do the exams/courses come around, is it an annual thing? I was a bit late looking into the sessions organised during the summer.

molc

Hoping to make it an annual thing as far as I know. Hopefully some from the class this year will help out next year and so on, so the club as a whole can get more qualified judges.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

helmet

Quote from: molc on November 26, 2015, 11:27:55 PM
Hoping to make it an annual thing as far as I know. Hopefully some from the class this year will help out next year and so on, so the club as a whole can get more qualified judges.
Sounds good, hoping to make it next year!

danger_zone

We should all get these hats to show our love of all things Mosaic
fermenting - peach wheat, mango wheat

drinking - whiskey stout

helmet

itsclinto

It should probably read 'mosaic endorsed by the wee county brewers'

cronan

I will look into getting an off flavour kit. It seems like a good place to start to expand our knowledge.
I take it we will use the kitty to buy this