• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 05:09:00 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Planning the next meeting!

Started by itsclinto, January 11, 2015, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsclinto

Well lads, quite enjoyed last night as always.  It seems that we are all talk at these meetings and we don't have any agenda or ideas when we turn up to the next one.  I for one don't mind this as i'm always learning especially with the variety that we have.  ;D

The few ideas that i'll put down are:

• Brewery tour/tours.  I think we really just need to decide on a date for Brehon Brewery.  Dan and myself could probably try Jack Codys for a tour (sorry danger mouse).
  • Brew Day.  Barney/Danger mouse would know more on this.
  • Organise tasting list.  I'm not sure how this will work but it might be good to do so we don't cross drinks too often.

My ideas:

• Grain/Hop show.  I'd love if we could organise a person to come to the meeting or us go to him/them to show us the differences in grains/hops with a few samples also.  So far the only way I know what they taste like are by asking you guys.  Its something that i'll just throw out there.
  • Club recipe.  Homebrewwest have a thing going that we can organise two recipes for our club (extract and all grain) and they give a discount on the ingredients.  It may be useful for us.  http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,8067.msg100877.html#msg100877

Has anybody anything else to add?

Oh and the limoncello recipe for those who would like it http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1087/limoncello

helmet

Good idea Niall,

I don't have a whole pile I can bring along for show and tell, but I can bring some of the following next time:

Grains:
Marris Otter
Chocolate malt
Caramel malt
Brown malt

Hops:
Mosaic
Cascade

danger_zone

Danger mouse !!  ???

That doesn't make me sound cool
fermenting - peach wheat, mango wheat

drinking - whiskey stout

itsclinto

Quote from: danger_zone on January 11, 2015, 08:31:15 PM
Danger mouse !!  ???

Sorry about that.  I had that name stuck in my head when i was typing everything out!  Its still not a bad name, could even add a picture to match!

danger_zone

Haha I actually used to love danger mouse

When we know what drinks we're bringing I'll break them down into their BJCP categories and we'll sample them that way in ascending order of the guidelines e.g. Pilsner is catagory 2,stout is catagory 13,IPA category 14

The only way to really know the grains and hops is trial and error like what cronan is doing.he's just using a single malt and a single hop in his brews to see what they're like but there are some good lists that describe what the grains /hops are like

I agree about the tour.lets just pick a date and go from there.march maybe?the week before our meetup

drinking - whiskey stout

Acott

Hey all,

My name is Aidan, I'm based in Dundalk. Currently working on experimental 1 gallon all grain batches.
I'd love to pop along to the next meeting and should have an IPA bottled by then, possibly a Vanilla Oatmeal Stout as well.

Great to hear there's a Louth club!

barney

HI Lads

great meeting last Friday really enjoyed it
Good post niall I think you covered everything in it
Danger mouse haha I used to love that show as a kid I think I should change my name on here as
Naming yourself after a large pink children's dino/ t.v presenter is really not cool!!! and probable a bit questionable too!!
I think the best way is to post the beer list prior to the meeting so we list name and beer that your bringing as the do with the north county meetings.
show and tell is a great idea I think Daniel has that covered I will bring a few hops also to add to it.
As regards the tour your completely correct we just need to set a date and check it out with the brewerys.

Hi Aidan

Your very welcome to come along to your next meeting it will be Friday 13th of feb in soraghans pub on the ardee road at 9 pm.

cronan

Hi lads all good ideas.

If we are going to design a recipe the first thing would be what is the style, we could vote on style and then vote on ingredients or just take an existing recipe that someone has and go with that.

Sounds like a plan with drinking beer by there category should not be hard to organise.

For hop tasting, I have some of my blond ale left- there is not too much hop taste to it but it is a good base beer.
I could open some bottles and dry hop in the re sealed bottle and cold crash the hops to the bottom.
This would give an idea of what the hops add to the beer, it will give a better idea than just smelling hops.
List of hops I can add is:
Simcoe
Citra
Mosaic
Centennial
Cascade
Amarillo
Columbus

The tour would be good we just need to suggest dates (End of Feb or Mar), I am easy enough on dates.

Herculainn

H'yello,

So we'll need a list of dates people CAN'T do a tour in March, and a list of dates Brehon CAN take us, bing bang boom..
I'm good all March..

I've nothing to contribute to the hop/malt tasting; I've still to get another grape juice fermentation on..

As for the drinking order; something as silly as "dealer's left" would work better than the current "see who makes a move first" method.. if we have a scale/categorisation like Danger_Zone says, maybe base it on strength of flavour(subjective arguments..), IBU(?), ABV?

Original Aidan
blah blah blah yackity smackity

danger_zone

This is the bjcp guidelines minus the subcategories.it would be easier to follow it as to what we sample first

Beer Style Guidelines

1. LIGHT LAGER 
2. PILSNER 
3. EUROPEAN AMBER LAGER 
4. DARK LAGER 
5. BOCK 
6. LIGHT HYBRID BEER 
7. AMBER HYBRID BEER 
8. ENGLISH PALE ALE 
9. SCOTTISH AND IRISH ALE 
10. AMERICAN ALE 
11. ENGLISH BROWN ALE 
12. PORTER 
13. STOUT 
14. INDIA PALE ALE (IPA) 
15. GERMAN WHEAT AND RYE BEER 
16. BELGIAN AND FRENCH ALE 
17. SOUR ALE 
18. BELGIAN STRONG ALE 
19. STRONG ALE 
20. FRUIT BEER 
21. SPICE / HERB / VEGETABLE BEER 
22. SMOKE-FLAVORED AND WOOD-AGED BEER 
23. SPECIALTY BEER 
24. TRADITIONAL MEAD 
25. MELOMEL (FRUIT MEAD) 
26. OTHER MEAD  )
27. STANDARD CIDER AND PERRY 
28. SPECIALTY CIDER AND PERRY

But we always have good intentions.we'll still end up random sampling

drinking - whiskey stout

Acott

I have a small amount of Saaz left over from my stout, I'm happy to put them forward. I was going to try a 1 GAL SMaSH with them but I'm more than happy to put them to better use!

danger_zone

P.s. I hope you're all busy coming up with a snazzy logo for the group

drinking - whiskey stout

helmet

I only copped when I saw the date for the next meeting that I'm away that weekend. I was on to Niall and I can get the malts and all to him to bring along if that suits?

For the brewery your, I'm out of action for the last weekend in March, other than that I'm good to go!

Who's contacting Brehon?

danger_zone

I set up a wee county brewers email account and emailed them. I'm still waiting on word back

drinking - whiskey stout

helmet

Fair play Danger Zone/Mouse!
Will I do.the same for Jack Coady's in case Brehon don't come back?