• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:17:22 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Holland and barrett malt extract

Started by Donny, February 28, 2015, 08:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donny

Hey guys,

Has anyone had experience in using the holland and barrett malt extract? I picked up a jar of the stuff the other day for a brew Im going to attempt in a week or two. Preferably I would really like to keep it county and use an irish malt extract made here in Ireland but I know very little about using malt. Id like to know what brand or where to get an Irish made malt extract.

Any help would be great.

Donny

banjobrew

No Irish extract as far as I'm aware. Muntons is the most local which is British and the rest are from elsewhere in Europe or Coopers from OZ.

First I've heard of Holland and Barrett doing LME. Does it specify where it's from? I'm all about buying local too and always have an eye online for Irish extract or hops.
Belfast Homebrewers.

banjobrew

"Traditional English Malt Extract. Delicious in baking, on toast or over cereals."

Haven't tried it over toast myself.
Belfast Homebrewers.

Donny

That toast wont know what hit it :P

Seriously I have seen topics on other forums but I was wondering if anyone here had used it to any effect and what kind of tastes they were getting.

Will_D

Its surelly way too expensive to use in brewing!

I have a jar from my local health food shop and use it for making up very small starters for growing up yeasts.

Its used by the teaspoon full. So much easier than opening DME or LME
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Donny

Not regularly that's for sure. So no one here has used it?

johnrm

+1 Will.
The only reason you would use this would be fit starters, if you were doing small batches or wanted to use some more malt but not open a fresh tin.

Donny

Its for a 1 Gal Braggot Mead.

The sugars ratio for my recipe are 1/3 malt to 2/3 honey.  I've made up my mind and I'm just going to use it.
If I was doing a larger brew it would be way too expensive to use.

Will_D

Quote from: Donny on March 02, 2015, 12:35:21 AM
Its for a 1 Gal Braggot Mead.
Then thats just what you want :)

Also save the empty jars they are just the right size for saving yeast trub from a 5 gallon brew!

"Reduce - Reuse - Recylcle"
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing