• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:22:47 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Cooper's Kit Yeast

Started by LordEoin, December 09, 2012, 01:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

December 09, 2012, 01:49:13 PM Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:02:41 PM by LordEoin
WHAT'S IN THE PACKET?

Yeast + yeast nutrient.

The yeast packets have a code inkjetted onto them that explains the yeast inside.
eg: 26815INT

This is broken into 2 parts [julian date code]+[yeast]
Julian: 26815 = 268th day of 2015. The yeast was made on the 25th of september 2015

The yeasts are:
No code = Cooper's Own Ale Yeast
IPA = Cooper's Own Ale Yeast
P = Lager
PS = Lager + Cooper's Own Ale Yeast
INT = Lager + Cooper's Own Ale Yeast
W = Commercial Ale Yeast
IS = Commercial Ale Yeast

So our example packet (26812INT) contains a mix of commercial Lager yeast and Coopers' Ale yeast, and as we previously saw it was made on the 25th of september 2015.

WHICH KITS HAVE THEM?

This is how Coopers list them
Ac= Coopers ale yeast (their own strain, not the same as the yeast in their commercial ales, developed in-house and propagated under contract).
A = ale yeast and L = lager yeast (these strains are commercially available dry yeast and their details are held in confidence).

Original Series:- Ac (26815)

International Series:-
Australian Pale Ale - Ac+L (26815 Int)
Mexican Cerveza - Ac+L (26815 Int)
European Lager - L (26815 P)
Canadian Blonde - Ac (26815)
English Bitter - Ac (26815)

Thomas Coopers Selection:- seem to be discontinued
Wheat - A (26812 W)
IPA - Ac (26812 IPA)
Irish Stout - A (26812 IS)
Pilsener - L (26812 P)
Australian Bitter - Ac+L (26812 PS)
Heritage Lager - Ac+L (26812 PS)
Sparkling Ale - Ac+L (26812 PS)
Traditional Draught - Ac+L (26812 PS)

Thomas Cooper's Series:
Bootmaker Pale Ale - A (26815 B)
Brew A IPA - A (26815 B)
Devil's Half Ruby Porter - A (26815 S)
Family Secret Amber Ale - A (26815 B)
Inkeeper's Daughter Sparkling Ale - A (26815 W)
Preacher's Hefe Wheat - Wh (26815 H)
86 Days Pilsner - L (26815 P)
Golden Crown - L (26815 P)

Craft Series:
Bewitched Amber Ale - Ac+L (26815)
Diablo IPA - Ac+L (26815)
Northwest Pale Ale - Ac+L (26815)
Winter Dark Ale - Ac+L (26815)

AT WHAT TEMPERATURE SHOULD I FERMENT THEM?

This is just a guide base on experience. Sometimes you might want different esters (flavors) that happen when you brew hotter or colder. I'm not going to go into that, but here's a handy tool if you want more on esters LINKYLINK

L      - Aim to ferment at about 12-14C
Ac+L - Aim to ferment at about 16-18C
Ac    - Aim to ferment at about 18-20C
A      - Aim to ferment at about 20-22C - Only provided in Irish Stout and Wheat Beer

SHOULD I ALWAYS USE THE KIT YEAST?

You CAN always use the provided kit yeast, and you SHOULD always end up with good beer.
However, for some styles you might consider getting a speciality yeast.

For example, the wheatbeer kit comes with an ale yeast and will make an ok wheat ale, but to make a great Hefeweizen you can replace the packet yeast with something like Safbrew WB-06
Or if you want to make an American style ale, you might replace the kit yeast with Safale US-05 and add some American hops.

MY BEER ISN'T BUBBLING YET!
Don't open the FV. Don't stir it.
Just give it a swirl to mix the yeast back in, make sure it is warm enough, then leave it for another 48 hours.
If you still don't get see any action, the yeast might have been killed on its way from down under and pitching another packet should fix it.

HOW LONG DOES THE YEAST LAST IN THE SACHET?
If you keep it in a cool dry place, the best before date will be about 2 years after the date of manufacture seen in the Julian calendar code printed on it.

HOW ABOUT OTHER MANUFACTURERS' SUPPLIED KIT YEAST?

This section is new, but I'll be adding to it as I go :)

• FINLANDIA KITS: "a general purpose yeast for both beers and lager when fermented between 18 – 22°C. If we were to use true lager yeast then fermentation would need to be carried out between 12 – 15°C which is beyond most home brewers capabilities"-  Graham, Finlandia
  • MUNTONS' KITS: (no reply from Muntons)
  • Brewers Choice Ultimate Czech Pilsner - comes with Brewferm Lager Yeast, 12-15, for 20L
  • HBC Allgrain Pilsner Mashkit - comes with lager yeast. ferment 10-12C (source, HBC)
  • Craft Range WheatBeer - Hefeweizen yeast. clean @ 18°, banana+clove @22°, increased banana+clove@25°
  • Craft Range Stout - top fermenting ale yeast - 20°
  • Craft Range BLonde Lager - Ale yeast- 20°

Coopers yeast code source here

Will_D

Brilliant piece of research.

@the mods:  This should be made a sticky at least and moved into the wiki

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

MAF

+1
That's by far the best post I've ever seen on kit yeast.

LordEoin

Glad you approve. I'm on my way to being the kit king, loved and adored by all the noobie brewers, frowned upon by the the all grainers..   :D :D :D

Will_D

QuoteGlad you approve. I'm on my way to being the kit king, loved and adored by all the noobie brewers, frowned upon by the the all grainers..   :D :D :D

Hey No Way Hosé!!

We all started with kits!

Thats what gets people into brewing in the first place, your article is MUCH appreciated by us Ag brewers

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

LordEoin

Bubbles

Great summary. I quite like the yeast that comes with the APA kit - a mix of ale and lager yeast. Great for those of us without temperature control but gives a nice crisp, lager-y result.

The Coopers forum is also a great place to ask specific questions about their yeast and kits. It also contains great resources for modding kits.

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/introduction

LordEoin

December 16, 2012, 11:42:22 AM #7 Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:23:02 AM by LordEoin
Yup, it sure is. That's where I originally learned how to brew.  :)
The combination of great kits, availability and so much time put into their website = winning!

grizzybeard

I don't understand the mixed yeast. What does including a lager yeast and then fermenting out at 18 degrees achieve over a clean ale yeast?

Surely the lager yeast would just be throwing out esters at that temp range?

LordEoin

Surely it is. Aim to ferment at the lower end of the range (16°C)instead of the higher end. That's a pretty good rule of thumb for most yeasts.
Below about 15° and the ale yeast will go to sleep, Over 18° and it does throw off some funk alright.
Coopers yeasts are pretty tough and will keep chugging away up to about 28° so the Ockers can ferment in their arid wastelands

ronanp

Have the coopers heritage larger on for the last  two days now in the spare room. Its an old house and wouldnt be the warmest. It's foaming away nicely at 16 degrees all on its own. As time goes on will the temperature drop as the yeast starts to die down? and if so should I work a bit to keep it around the 16 mark by warping it up a bit and maybe using the brew belt?

LordEoin

it might drop a degree or so, you should still be good :)