• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 03:17:02 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] Craft Range IPA

Started by fishjam45 (Colin), May 30, 2014, 11:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HomeBrewWest

Hi Merv, should come in about 4.5% ABV without the dextrose. The Craft Range IPA kits were developed by the UK's most respected craft beer brewer (as in international recognition) so I don't know what will happen if you veer away from the original design. The dextrose is there to make the beer "lighter", so your version may be a bit maltier. Should still be a great beer though.

Keep us posted.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

mervynskidmore

Cheers, will update in around a months time when I take the first sample. Any idea what hops are in the package? They're just labelled "IPA Hops". Would be nice to know for future experiments as to what hops or combinations I like. I've done the Craft Range Citra Pale Ale and I'm expecting the IPA will be every bit as good.

gearoid

I did exactly the same just the other day - left out the dextrose to get the abv down.  OG was 1042, in about 23.5L.
I have brewed it before with all and again with 1/2 the dextrose, FGs were 1007 and 1006  - both are good.

mervynskidmore

Quote from: gearoid on May 04, 2015, 09:37:32 AM
I did exactly the same just the other day - left out the dextrose to get the abv down.  OG was 1042, in about 23.5L.
I have brewed it before with all and again with 1/2 the dextrose, FGs were 1007 and 1006  - both are good.

I take it you like this kit then Gearoid?  8)

HalfCutClub

Put this in the FV two weeks ago.  Took a sample yesterday.  OG was 1.060, sample was 1.000 so north of 6.5% according to the online ABV calculator.  Added the hops and plan to bottle either Tuesday or Wednesday depending on work.

oinkely

This is a super kit, I have only about 4 bottles left from when I brewed it in March.  Everyone who has tried it has agreed that it is excellent.  Even though some of them did not carbonate up very well the flavour and aroma was still great.  I'd like to see a little more head retention but I will definitley brew this again at some stage.

Enjoy.

HalfCutClub

Just bottled, smells good, will report back in a few weeks.

mervynskidmore

I just bottled this yesterday. I have a sneaky suspicion that the malt in this kit is exactly the same as the malt in the Young's American Ipa kit. I dry hopped for 3 days, although it says this in the instructions it just feels a bit short. Anyway the taste I had yesterday from the fermenter was very nice. Will probably do a Craft Range Stout next.

Padraich

I brewed this kit and Youngs AIPA back to back last year.  They were fairly different colours and I only used the ingredients provided, so malts may be similar, but not the same. There was a noticable difference in colour; but I can't remember which was darker...
How are the recent bottlings working out?

djanto

I have made this kit and it is a nice one, took forever it seemed to ferment out (3 weeks maybe total), i left the supplied hops in for about 8 days as i like a hoppy beer anyway.
ABV about 6.5% and very drinkable after a week or so in the bottle, very little head retention though. Whole lot was gone within a month so can't comment much on bottle conditioning lol
Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world. Jack Nicholson

thechevron

Hi Djanto,

Did you see much action in the bucket? I am currently brewing it and it will be 2 weeks tomorrow since I started. The gravity hasn't dropped in over 8 days, stuck around 1.020 from an SG of 1.040.

I have seen no activity and no bubbles in the FV or airlock.

djanto

yes the airlock was still bubbling away every 30 seconds or so, it had slowed down from the initial 2 to 3 seconds but was still bubbling away so i just left it and turned out grand
Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world. Jack Nicholson

thechevron

Quote from: djanto on February 28, 2016, 01:09:35 AM
yes the airlock was still bubbling away every 30 seconds or so, it had slowed down from the initial 2 to 3 seconds but was still bubbling away so i just left it and turned out grand
I have never seen 1 bubble from my airlock in nearly 3 weeks :(

Im wondering if fermentation ever started.

LordEoin

seeing as its gone from 1.040 to 1.020 it was fermenting. You probably just messed it up somewhere along the way, I'm guessing that the temperature was not stable or too low.
Smell it, taste it. if its ok bottle it and watch out for bottle bombs.
Everyone's brewed a bad one at some stage, learn and move on.

thechevron

Quote from: LordEoin on March 03, 2016, 06:15:35 PM
seeing as its gone from 1.040 to 1.020 it was fermenting. You probably just messed it up somewhere along the way, I'm guessing that the temperature was not stable or too low.
Smell it, taste it. if its ok bottle it and watch out for bottle bombs.
Everyone's brewed a bad one at some stage, learn and move on.
Yeah you're probably right. Just gutted as it was my first brew. Everyone is expecting beer :)