• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 01:51:10 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Cooper's Macho Macchiato Stout Question

Started by bighoppapump, January 05, 2018, 02:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bighoppapump

Hi,

I have been looking to try making a milk stout from a kit and have been looking at the Macho Macchiato Stout from Coopers. I bought the original stout kit rather than the irish stout kit but have all the other ingredients (shown below). Does anyone know can I just use the original stout in place of the irish stout and leave all the other ingredients the same or should I adjust them as I'm using a different kit?

Recipe Link: http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/149/

Ingredients:
1 x 1.7kg Coopers Irish Stout (USING ORIGINAL STOUT INSTEAD)
2 x 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt
1 x 300g Chocolate Malt Grain
1 x 250g Lactose
1 x 11g Lallemand Nottingham Dry Yeast
1 x 250g Coopers Carbonation Drops

kilo_folio

I'm putting this on today with the (non-Irish) Cooper's stout kit. I'm also using the kit yeast but that's mainly because I forgot to order Nottingham. I can't see there being too much of a difference tbh.

Also, as recommended in another Cooper's Stout kit discussion, I'm going to dry hop with some east Kent Golding's.

I've high hopes for this one.

bighoppapump

Good stuff kilo_folio, I think I'll belt on with the non irish stout so then!

keep me posted on how yours turns out and I'll do the same.

kilo_folio

I decided to play around with the recipe a bit yesterday when putting this on. Ended up with the following:

150g Chocolate malt
150g Roast barley
200g Carapils
200g Oats
300g lactose

It's sitting in the FV at 19c and is already bubbling away. In my panic to get this brew wrapped up before dinner I forgot to take a gravity reading. So I'm shooting in the dark a bit with abv. I don't have a tap on the fermenter so will hold off taking a sample until the yeast settles a bit.

I'm planning on leaving this in the FV for 2 weeks and dryhopping with EKG 5 days before bottling.

Keep me posted on how you get on bighoppapump

bighoppapump

Looks interesting kilo_folio!

I ended up using 300g of lactose instead of the recommended 250g, and I pitched both yeasts as it said to do so on the coopers site. Not sure why one would use 2 yeasts but let's see what happens.

It was my first time using steeping grains and I found the bag was touching the bottom of the pot during some of the steep. Not a major issue as I mostly had the hob turned off but something for me to watch for next time!

Also, My OG reading came out at 1.044

I was reading up on oats afterwards as I might try and use them in my next attempt. How did you use them? (Some sites suggest I would need to do a partial mash with them)

kilo_folio

I've seen a few brewers on YouTube use a small metal colander to stop the grain bag from touching the bottom of the pot. I had the same issue but like you I had the heat off so there wasn't any issues.

I'm still a bit confused by the difference between partial mash and steeping. But I put the oats in the with the rest of my crushed grain for 30min. I also sparged with the oats still in the bag. I'm pretty sure what I did was closer to partial mash than a steep.

As for the 2 yeast packets, I would of thought that this would only be for a high gravity beer? I'm still pretty new to this but I'm sure using extra yeast won't do any damage. Especially if it is recommended by Coopers.

bighoppapump

Quote from: kilo_folio on January 10, 2018, 02:54:22 PM
I've seen a few brewers on YouTube use a small metal colander to stop the grain bag from touching the bottom of the pot. I had the same issue but like you I had the heat off so there wasn't any issues.

I'm still a bit confused by the difference between partial mash and steeping. But I put the oats in the with the rest of my crushed grain for 30min. I also sparged with the oats still in the bag. I'm pretty sure what I did was closer to partial mash than a steep.

As for the 2 yeast packets, I would of thought that this would only be for a high gravity beer? I'm still pretty new to this but I'm sure using extra yeast won't do any damage. Especially if it is recommended by Coopers.

So I bottled this on Monday and had a little taste of it while it was flat. I noticed immediately that the body was good on this, in that it was not watery when compared to another stout I made a few months ago. It had a strong coffee taste and looks like it will end up pretty tasty!I batch primed it with 100g of corn sugar so that it should end up with around 2 volumes of CO2. How did yours come along? Also if you are near Dublin and interested, want to swap 1 or 2 bottles when they are carbonated?