• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 12:02:45 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Young’s American IPA

Started by Howl40, June 05, 2018, 09:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howl40

Hi
I am currently brewing the Young's America IPA. I started brewing it 11 days ago. There was a lot of activity for a good few days and then the bubbling in the airlock appeared to slow down. I decided to take a gravity reading toninght and it read 1.020 which means I need to leave it longer. Thing is since taking the reading it appears to of kickstarted the fermentation and the airlock is bubbling more frequently than it had been the last few days.
Is this normal?
Have I ruined my brew?
To take the gravity reading I had to disturb the Krausen, could this of reactivated it?

johnrm

You could have knocked some CO2 out of suspension when sampling.
Temp plays a big part in fermentation - how steady was the temp when fermenting?
18C would be a good temp for most ales. If you overshot your yeast may have gotten overexcited!

Howl40

The temp was below 25c when I started which is the recommended temp when adding the yeast. It has been fermenting in the sun room which is currently warm with the weather.
A friend of mine said for me to give the bucket a little shake to agitate it and get the yeast going again. It appears to of kick started it again. The Krausen is still on the top so I also assume this is an indication of its not finished fermenting.
I just hope I haven't ruined it.

irish_goat

Best thing to do is leave it alone for another week or so. If it's in the sunroom it's going to have gotten very warm too though, that's not ideal.