• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:38:40 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Dry Lager yeast question?

Started by Oh Crap, March 26, 2015, 07:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oh Crap

Howya
I'm doing a lager tomorrow and just finished getting everything together BUT I just realised I only have 1 pk of s-23
I usually use 2 pks. I don't have time to get to hbw or the like so what should I expect?
It is a 23l brew. Is one enough or will I stress the poor little yeasties too much?
Cheers
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

DEMPSEY

You answered your own question,yes you will stress them. You will have a delay in how long it will take the yeast to grow enough cells.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

LordEoin

make a starter. it should avoid some of the stress and allow the 1 pack to hit the ground running.

Oh Crap

Quote from: LordEoin on March 26, 2015, 08:30:47 PM
make a starter. it should avoid some of the stress and allow the 1 pack to hit the ground running.
How? With dried yeast? Rehydrate? Or
Beer

TheSumOfAllBeers

Rehydrate and add to some wort that you made up with DME you really need to do your homework if you want to get that brew pitched

Oh Crap

Not going to brew it tomorrow,mill order more yeast and do it right next week.
I'll do an Irish red instead as I have the stuff :) was planning that one next anyway. At least ill have a brew on
Beer

Hop Bomb

Order a pack of yeast right now. Brew as planned & just pitch both packs when you have them. Your wort will be fine unpitched for 24 hours if you have impeccable sanitation.

Or if you know someone in Galway travelling your way I can pull some Weihenstephan W34/70 yeast off the lager fermenting here at GBB.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Oh Crap

Quote from: Hop Bomb on March 26, 2015, 11:05:11 PM
Order a pack of yeast right now. Brew as planned & just pitch both packs when you have them. Your wort will be fine unpitched for 24 hours if you have impeccable sanitation.

Or if you know someone in Galway travelling your way I can pull some Weihenstephan W34/70 yeast off the lager fermenting here at GBB.
I appreciate the offer.  Sanitation is good but getting to / from Galway today/tomorrow isn't guaranteed.  I was planning an nice malty red for next week anyway so I'll move that up and do the lager then, at least Ill have time to get more yeast, no point in stressing the little fellas.
Beer

DEMPSEY

Hop Bomb what temp do GBB run this yeast at :-\
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Hop Bomb

Into the FV at 10c. FV set to 12c so when the ferment kicks off it free rises to 12c. Its held there for 4 days & then its allowed to free rise further. It gets up to about 17c. Stays there a while after ferment is done. Then slowly brought back down to 1c & held there for 6 weeks or more. Then into to the bright tank for 2 days at 35psi, then to keg.

On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.