• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 05, 2024, 06:47:47 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

CIDER 101

Started by Will_D, October 16, 2013, 04:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

Quote from: Jacob on November 10, 2013, 09:11:28 AM
Piched Notty on Thursday evening, still no signs of activity. Should I be afraid or keep waiting?
Second one on WLP started already ... Temp is around 18C

I've used Youngs cider, I've never had a lag like this before.

Sent from my HTC One

Greg2013

Is yeast nutruent absolutely necessary with these? My au natural gallon one of these is fizzing like the clappers ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Damo

November 10, 2013, 10:10:44 AM #77 Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 08:16:01 PM by Damo
Eoin, Did you aerate enough?

I can see your fermenting in the original drum.  I would imagine Gregs took off because of the aeration when transferring into his Dj.

I added 16 crushed cambden's on tues night, 24hrs later I pitched youngs cider yeast with 20grams of nutrient.

36hrs later (friday evening), I had activity in 1 fermenter and 4hrs later they were all going well!

Damian

edit: sorry I meant Friday eve.

Eoin

Aeration might be my issue. I might add a touch of olive oil.

Sent from my HTC One

Eoin

Ok I'm thinking my seals are bad. I just opened to add a tiny bit of olive oil and there is activity.... Albeit slow, but I still added some olive oil to make up for the lack of aeration. I dipped a wooden skewer in the oil, knocked off excess then stirred that in.

Sent from my HTC One

Ciderhead

Day 3, all 4 bubbling like the bejesus now and stinking the place out :D

Eoin

I moved mine into the fermenting fridge at 19c, I'll drop it to 15 once the bitter is done.

Sent from my HTC One

nigel_c

pob

Went into shed to check cider in brewing fridge, jaysus, dreadful smell of farts in there. Then I opened the fridge door, .... I'll get my coat

Ciderhead

Mad healthy fermentation going on, Mrs CH isn't impressed tho and I have to admit it's catching me in the back of my throat:)

Sent from 1 of 300,000,000

Greg2013

Quote from: CH on November 11, 2013, 07:05:51 PM
Mad healthy fermentation going on, Mrs CH isn't impressed tho and I have to admit it's catching me in the back of my throat:)

Is one packet of dry yeast per 25 litres enough ?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

Yes!
Was it aerated?

Greg2013

Quote from: CH on November 11, 2013, 07:54:59 PM
Yes!
Was it aerated?

It will be am only doing it now  :'(

Eoin

Rather than aerating dip a clean toothpick or wooden skewer in some olive oil and stir that in not a big drop, just a dip.

Sent from my HTC One

Shane Phelan

Also it did a lap of Ireland in the delivery truck, got a good shake then too!
Brew Log