• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 05, 2024, 09:28:33 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

CIDER 101

Started by Will_D, October 16, 2013, 04:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

No bad aroma from the au naturalers I presume?

Eoin

I got jittery at the slow start and tried it. It can't harm anything.

Sent from my HTC One

Eoin

Wow, the house smells of cider this morning. Let's hope the fart smell holds off or I'll be in trouble.

Sent from my HTC One

Rossa

Sulphur. Fecking awful.

Garry

I think we should add the smell issue to next years Cider 101. Maybe a note saying "ferment outside in the shed/garage if possible, unless you like the smell of fart."

My garage stinks with the last few days. I can't imagine what would happen if I was doing it inside. All the Yankee candles in the house wouldn't mask the smell!!

johnrm

My missus called and mentioned a stench in the house today.
"It will be worth it!" I told her.

Need to buy flowers now, dammit.

Shanna

After three days of inactivity I cracked open the fermenter and gave it a 10 minute stir. I also added a 2nd pack of youngs cider yeast and moved it to a warmer room. Finally on Sunday night the fermentation started and now its going great guns. No bad smell yet of farts or other.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Eoin

I'd not describe the smell in the house as bad, just pervasive..... It's actually quite a nice smell of fermenting apples.

Sent from my HTC One

irish_goat

California Ale yeast gives off an awful fart/rotten egg smell in the starter. Nearly chucked it until I read online that it was normal.

Greg2013

Once you does this stuff with campden at 10-15 tabs per drum how long will it keep until you have to pitch the yeast ?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

Not sure I like the sound of that question
You are creating an environment where you are suppressing natural in favour of your own, for god sake dose! I even gave you the packets!!

Greg2013

Quote from: CH on November 12, 2013, 08:03:17 PM
Not sure I like the sound of that question
You are creating an environment where you are suppressing natural in favour of your own, for god sake dose! I even gave you the packets!!

Just pitched into both FV's, used EC-1118 in the 25 ltr batch and SN-9 in the 20 ltr batch. Sorry CH but i wanted to keep the young's for something else and i wanted to try that SN9 again after the great rwesults i got last time. Added pectolase to both about 4 tsp in each.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

I would have got you another one! :D

Greg2013

Quote from: CH on November 12, 2013, 08:31:46 PM
I would have got you another one! :D

Many thanks CH, i have been wanting to try it on a cider anyway so all good.

johnrm

Sulphur/Eggs is what I've got going on.
I keep telling herself to put the dog out...