• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 06:10:53 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

True Batch Brew all-grain Porter kit (with equipment)

Started by derfel, February 23, 2014, 09:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motorbikeman

The book says step 2. 

After I heat the lot with water I have to cook for 60mins. 

Then strain the grain over another pot or container a few times. 

If it all gets a bit smaller than the dry grain then it might fit  . 

I could, if im stuck cut the mesh from the sieve and place it in the bottom  of  a pot steamer .   

Garry

I got one of these in Ikea. It's like a colander/strainer hybrid type of thing!

I'd say it will still struggle with all that grain? I'd suggest getting some paint strainers and putting the grain into them before mashing.

LordEoin

i use a collander lined with some muslin

Motorbikeman

Dont have a collander . But I did find this in the attic. 

About 50 more holes drilled and 3 allen bolts later. 

Tesco does muslin sheets in the baby section. 

Sorted.    Going to do this tomorrow .

irish_goat

Just wait til the missus comes home and tells ye that pot you just drilled holes in was a treasured family heirloom.   :P

rAdve

March 26, 2014, 04:03:57 PM #35 Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 12:46:38 PM by LordEoin
I started my brewing career with similar 1 gallon brew kit. It is great way to start and also a good gift for someone who might be interested in home brewing. After first batch I suggest to buy voile fabric on guinneys etc. and make a brew bag. It improved my beer quality pretty much. Maybe kit seller could sell small brew bags as extra in online shop? :)

derfel

I bottled this at the weekend - it finished out at 1.014, making it a nice beefy beer. It tastes alright so far, I'll see how long I can restrain myself before I open a bottle.

A couple of notes - the instructions say to rack to secondary before bottling - this is a very good idea. There's a lot of sediment in the demijohn.

Someone asked me to point out that I cooled the wort before transferring to the demijohn - this is clearly mentioned in the instructions, I forgot to mention it above.

I'll bring a bottle to the next meet up in Midleton for anyone curious about the results.

Bring on the Amber kit :)

LordEoin

johnrm

2 criticisms of true-batch brew are...
The time required to do a batch is more-or-less the same as a larger batch.
Owing to the smaller volume, temp will fluctuate more if not managed.

2 likes...
I like it for the trial-batch size.
Great for getting people up and running with all grain.

LordEoin

It's not about size john.. it's about how you use it...  ;D ;D

derfel

Quote from: LordEoin on April 02, 2014, 10:07:46 AM
How many bottles did you get out of it?

7. I am a clumsy man, so there was some loss.

I have to say that this kit gave me a huge appreciation for all grain. It's way more fun than kits.

Motorbikeman

Quote from: johnrm on April 02, 2014, 10:44:11 AM
2 criticisms of true-batch brew are...
The time required to do a batch is more-or-less the same as a larger batch.
Owing to the smaller volume, temp will fluctuate more if not managed.

2 likes...
I like it for the trial-batch size.
Great for getting people up and running with all grain.

I have to say John.  I personally would have never have made the large step to  big batch grain anytime soon.  I would also like to add, if it was not for brians thread here,  I would not have seen how achievable it is at home with the household cooking pot.
  I im going to do another small one with the kits and im also trying to source a couple of old kegs for the step up to 5 gallon full on grain.

So as a newbie with little knowledge and dipping my toe in,  I think these kits are wonderful.     

Where would one get a couple of free or cheap beer kegs in Naas area

LordEoin

I have to agree. the scale is what makes them so accessible to folks without any allgrain kit like mash tuns, keggles, etc :)

benji

Seems very pricey for me though for 5 litres of beer, could I buy one of these kits https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/all-grain-mash-kits-c-194.html and just 1/4 the ingredients for each brew. BTW I haven't tried all grain yet
Tapped: Brown Porter, Dortmunder, Rye IPA
Bottled: Barrel RIS, Barrel Red Flanders, Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting: Barrel triple, NEIPA
Planned: Pilsner, Hazy Pale Ale, something Belgian

johnrm

You could, and it would be great to learn the process, but do you value your time?