• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 17, 2024, 05:34:40 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

September Belfast Meet - Brew Day at the Hudson?

Started by Bazza, September 02, 2013, 12:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matthewdick23

barry, any word frm hudson?

tube gave me bunch of bram cross for our next club brew- can use those if we want

u can use my equiment no worries

im still concerned as to how we will chill it though

Bill_00

I can see about getting my wort cooler up. There's bound to be a hose tap in the yard somewhere

Bazza

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the offer of equipment & hops. I think I said in an earlier post that I can bring my cooler & hose down with me. I've an attachment for regular taps too. And I see Iain has also volunteered his, so we won't be stuck. That's why I was suggesting hops at flameout i.e. cool to 80 degrees and steep for 20 mins or so.

Re the Hudson; I was on a training course all day Mon and Tue so will have more time to phone them at various points of the day today.

Cheers,

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

matthewdick23

sweet- i think we had difficulty finding a hose last time outside- thats why i mention it

Bazza

September 18, 2013, 10:11:59 AM #19 Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:44:01 AM by Bazza
Quote from: matthewdick23 on September 18, 2013, 09:39:08 AM
sweet- i think we had difficulty finding a hose last time outside- thats why i mention it

Ah, I see. Well, I have an attachment to connect the hose to a regular tap so maybe we can use something like. If we can persuade the punters to re-use their glasses, the bar will have less to wash and therefore less need for water :)

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Bazza

Quick update:

I'm just off the phone to Michael Vint from the Hudson and he says that, while he still needs to confirm with the other Michaels and Johnny, he can't see a problem with us holding the brew day there on the 28th.

I'll let you know when I get final confirmation, then we can start getting a head count.

Cheers,

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

BrewBilly

Hi Folks

I can bring some Crystal Malt and some Fuggles hops, just shout.

Really looking forward to the day, trying to get some mates that have started HB down to meet you lot (not sure if thats a good idea though lol)

Cheers
Andy
Addicted Amateur

DJ: Empty
FV1: Ausie Pale Ale
FV2: Hefeweizen
Plans: Centennial SMaSH

Bazza

Quote from: Il Tubo on September 22, 2013, 09:02:47 PM
Is there something on on the 28th (other than this :))?

Checking hotels on the off chance that I might get a reprieve, but nothing's available.

Our local church is holding its Autumn fate the same day. Unless it's that...

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Ciderhead

Mattyblade1

Hi guys and girls... Totally new to this site/forum. Would love to meet up and see how the experts brew. I haven't brewed for 10 years and have only now started again

Is there a meeting on the 28th at the Hudson ?

Thanks

Matt

Bazza

Quote from: Mattyblade1 on September 23, 2013, 01:39:44 PM
Hi guys and girls... Totally new to this site/forum. Would love to meet up and see how the experts brew. I haven't brewed for 10 years and have only now started again

Is there a meeting on the 28th at the Hudson ?

Thanks

Matt

Hey Matt,

Welcome to the forum. So what are you brewing after your 10-year absence?
Yep; there's a brewday at the Hudson this coming Saturday (still to be 100% confirmed but I've been assured it'll be fine). Hoping to start from 12ish onwards. Everyone's welcome. Just drop in when it suits. We'll not be going anywhere for a few hours.

Quote from: Il Tubo on September 23, 2013, 10:52:11 PM
Got a reprieve.

Hey Shane. Good to see you maintaining your 100% attendance record at our brew days. Nice one!

Quote from: BrewBilly on September 21, 2013, 07:21:47 PM
I can bring some Crystal Malt and some Fuggles hops, just shout.

Crystal and fuggles would be perfect Andy. I can bring the pale, the chocolate and some form of bittering hop. I think between Matthew and myself we have the equipment sorted.

You got a fermenter you want to bring along for a share of the brew?

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Mattyblade1

Thanks Bazza... Really looking forward to Saturday so I can get a few tips from the experts. Having not brewed for 10 plus years has got me more keen than ever...

I,m now brewing a Canadian Blonde and adding the below.

500g light spray malt
500g of dextrose
400g of local light honey just to hopefully give a little sweetness ( just testing at this stage )
113g of Halletau leaf hops.

Is all being done in a Young's Fermenter, so it will be interesting to see. Have just bottled my first brew, but it won't be ready to bring on Saturday unfortunately.

I'd be to nervous to have anyone drink it anyways as its my first.

Do I need to bring anything on Saturday to help out ?

Thanks

Matt

matthewdick23

barry- is sat confirmed?

im in dublin for bjcp but ur more than welcome to borrow equipment- only cost u a 6pack of the beer ;-)

Bazza

Quote from: Mattyblade1 on September 24, 2013, 04:18:45 PM
Do I need to bring anything on Saturday to help out ?

Hi Matt. No real need to bring anything at this point. Although a thirst is generally a useful thing to bring to these meets :)

Quote from: matthewdick23 on September 24, 2013, 05:03:30 PM
barry- is sat confirmed?

im in dublin for bjcp but ur more than welcome to borrow equipment- only cost u a 6pack of the beer ;-)

Hi Matthew. I tried to get final confirmation today but all the Michaels are in Scotland till tomorrow. The guy I spoke with, Ryan, said he could see no issue, as did Michael V last week. I think it's safe to assume that Saturday's a go-er, though I'll keep badgering the Hudson in the meantime.

Equipment-wise, if we're doing  a 32L brew we would need to borrow your boiler and gas setup. However, if we're only going to split the brew 2 ways then we could reduce to a 23L boil and just use my electrical equipment.

WHICH RAISES THE FOLLOWING QUESTION:

Is there anyone out there keen to take a share of the brew home to pitch and condition their own way?
It'd help us decide how big a brew to do and therefore what equipment to bring.

32L we could split 3 ways (4 at a stretch).
23 L we could split 2 ways.

Also, any suggestions on tweaks to the recipe??

Cheers,

-Barry
― Groucho Marx