• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 12:58:44 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

First wheat

Started by Donny, February 23, 2016, 09:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donny

Hey guys,

My sister is getting married in September and Id like to make a nice wheat beer for them for their after party. Id like to make a wheat beer thats not too complicated as its my first but Im having trouble finding anything suitable. I messed around with a recipe on beer smith but Im still learning how to use it.

I would like to make with an orange tang to it and a hint of honey. Can any of you gents recommend a recipe that i could try or any tips on the wheat beer process. So far Ive only made ales and stouts.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1058305/horange this is what i was messing with. Not sure if getting honey malt is easy in Ireland.

Cheers in advance

Pheeel

There was a thread about honey malt a couple of weeks back. AFAIK its a bugger to get here
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Leann ull

its worse than a bugger...

Donny

I have a buddie living near New York. Was going to attempt to get him to post some Gambrinus to me but I'm not sure if the states allow you to post grain outside of the states

LordEoin

it's easy to get if you're willing to pay for the shipping

Leann ull

February 24, 2016, 09:05:47 AM #5 Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:27:56 AM by CH
All of the US HB shops have it but it will cost you $20-30 to get it here thats assuming customs will allow you import grain :(
I'd probably just use melanoidin. Don't go mad with it though!

Bubbles

I've often wondered whether these proprietary malts from US are all they're cracked up to be. Honey malt, special roast etc.

I know the US is supposed to be "the new frontier" of brewing and all that, but I find it hard to believe that English and German maltsters, with their long traditions, don't have comparable products.

OP, if you want a honey flavour, why not just use honey in the fermenter?

LordEoin

nigel_c

Honey will ferment out completely and you will get here little from it.
For a wheat beer recipe go back in the best brews section and find the winning recipe from partridge9.
Simple enough recipe that is a great starting point for you to tinker around with. If you are kegging it could be as simple as adding some dissolved honey to your keg when carbing. It will have to be kept cold as fermentation will kick off again. If you time it right it's doable this way.

Leann ull

Practice and do one in advance and also have an alternative, I'm not a fan of wheat beers!
Enough stress around everything else that day for your Sis without you presenting something that's not what you expected or folks want to drink.

Donny

Quote from: Bubbles on February 24, 2016, 09:16:15 AM
OP, if you want a honey flavour, why not just use honey in the fermenter?

Don't want to increase the ABV too much.  Wanted it too be an easy going drink that won't blow the head off you.

Quote from: CH on February 24, 2016, 09:05:47 AM
I'd probably just use melanoidin. Don't go mad with it though!

Any experience in using melandoidin?

Leann ull

Yep medal winning Lagers and Helles ;)
There is a story I want to tell but it can only come out once nationals have finished :D

LordEoin

about 5% melanoidin is a good level.
It will darken the beer slightly.
It will not taste like honey.

For a wheat beer though I presume you mean a hefeweizen?  It's all about the choice of yeast.
Don't fuss too much over grain, keep it simple.
Don't fuss too much over hops, get your IBU and leave it at that.
Don't fuss too much over the fermentation, get the temp right and leave it alone. no cold crash or lagering etc. cloudy is ok.

If you're looking for a refreshing easy drinker maybe add some orange peel and ground coriander

Leann ull

Weyermann® Melanoidin is a kilned specialty malt with an intense malt aroma and unique brewing characteristics. It has a high degree of modification of both proteins and starches, excellent friability, low β-glucan values, and high acidity. These attributes help promote flavor stability, add body, and produce a smooth mouthfeel. Weyermann® Melanoidin malt adds a deep amber to red-brown color to finished beer. The rich malt flavor has notes of honey and biscuit. Melanoidin malt is best used in dark or red-colored beers such as amber ales, scottish ales, Irish red ales, bocks, and Kellerbier.

Be very careful on the %'s for lighter beers only 2% on a helles can have a marked effect

Donny

Tempting, maybe il add it to the 2.0 version. I think il stick to a basic the first time round. Can anyone suggest a yeast yo use that holds back a big on the traditional banana notes? Was thinking one of the Mangrove jacks strains