• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:21:49 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Any cuttings?

Started by The Bull, May 05, 2017, 12:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bull

Hi all,

I planted a Cascade rhizome back in early April. Having seen zero life/growth I took a look and my concerns were right in that it has rotted.

Not sure why it did as it was planted in good soil, very shallow, south facing, didn't over water.

With that in mind I was putting out a call encase anyone would have any cuttings to spare please?

I live in Glenageary but could do a reasonable drive to collect.

Rathbaner

Just posted this in another thread, earlier this week I bought a hop plant in Lidl. It was sitting in among lots of other climbing plants and wasn't advertised at the shop. I emailed Lidland asked what variety the hop was. The company subsequently told me that their supplier told them was Challenger.

So if you nip down to your local Lidl you may be able pick up a Challenger hop plant or two.

krockett

Quote from: The Bull on May 05, 2017, 12:17:39 PM
Hi all,

I planted a Cascade rhizome back in early April. Having seen zero life/growth I took a look and my concerns were right in that it has rotted.

Not sure why it did as it was planted in good soil, very shallow, south facing, didn't over water.

With that in mind I was putting out a call encase anyone would have any cuttings to spare please?

A bit late now maybe? I know a guy with EKG, Fuggles and Challenger mature plants who doesn't want them - you could collect these as-is now I'd say.

Otherwise I'll have Centennial, Chinook and Cascade next year if you're interested. We'd have to organise shipment from Cork.

-D.

johnrm

I think I know the lad with those hops...

Jonnycheech

I have Cascade growing at the moment in Drumcondra. Not sure if it's the right time to take a cutting but you are more than welcome to come and take a few it's possible.
Tapped: FES, NEIPA, CocoIMS, Flanders 2018, Passion Fruit/Peach BW
Fermentors: Raspberry Wheat, Session IPA
Bottled: Cherry Lambic 2019

Boycott

Quote from: krockett on June 15, 2017, 10:40:47 PM
Quote from: The Bull on May 05, 2017, 12:17:39 PM
Hi all,

A bit late now maybe? I know a guy with EKG, Fuggles and Challenger mature plants who doesn't want them - you could collect these as-is now I'd say.

Otherwise I'll have Centennial, Chinook and Cascade next year if you're interested. We'd have to organise shipment from Cork.

-D.

I would take all of them. 2/6 plants didnt grow this year for me. where is he based?

cummic08

I only picked up one of those Lidl Hop plants last week and planted yesterday. There were 2-3 left in swords, at 4 euro you cant go wrong. It was a foot to a foot 1/2 high, slightly late for it but it gives it a good start for next year. March-April is the time to plant Rhizomes.

Brewmeister

Am down in Cork, would also love to get any cuttings or seeds available!

krockett

I'll ask your man about the fuggles/EKG. I work with him but am on holidays till next week.

Should be able to root some centennial/ cascade shoots. Will try once back but this could take a few weeks.

Am in Cork.

BrendanH

Just wondering if anyone out there has any cuttings going spare? Am ideally looking for cascade/centennial but will take anything as I'm keen to get something in the ground this sprint. Am in Kerry.  Thanks