• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:33:18 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

O'Hara's Stout - Discussion

Started by irish_goat, June 24, 2017, 02:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_goat

Something we tried previously, which I think went down well, was an open discussion of a beer as we were all drinking it. Previous thread HERE.

The purpose of the discussion was to breakdown the beer identifying what's good and what's bad about it, and trying to bring across the good positive things and identify the poor ones so that they are in/excluded in our own beers. Plenty of BJCP judges chipped in and I think it was a worthwhile exercise.

Selection up north in the offys tends to be skewed towards nordie and UK beers but I've chosen O'Hara's Irish Stout. Everyone should be able to get their hands on a bottle handy enough. 

Discussion will kick off on Wednesday 28th at 9pm and should only last 20-30 mins.

Skittlebrau

The beer discussion is a great idea. From talking with people about some of the more established Irish beers the term "Its not the same beer it used to be" keeps cropping up. In many cases the beer may have changed. The beer reviews could serve as a reference point for where beers are at now, it could be interesting to review the same beer in 3-4 years to see what's changed.

irish_goat

Reminder we're doing this tomorrow night.  :)

BigDanny84

Qs

Couldn't get a bottle in Tesco or the local offie. Tescos had pretty much every other O'Haras beer.

Had to settle for a couple of cans of Obrother Bonita instead  :P

Slev

Was just in Lidl. Assume this is the one. Hope to join in later.

molc

Will pick up a bottle later and throw me oar in sure :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

irish_goat

That's the one. The Aldi O'Sheas Irish Stout is also remarkably close to O'Hara's Stout. Carlow Brewing Co claim it's a different recipe but I'm not sure. Must do a side by side tasting someday as there is a good €1 to be saved per bottle.

brian_c

One bottle of O'Hara's stout picked up, despite the 40 or so bottles of homebrew dry Irish stout I have to hand.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

DEMPSEY

I'm in the porterhouse tonight to meet the brewer. Will be quizzing him on wrasslers and when he does not answer my questions I will ask, " how come ye can't make stout as good as O'Hara's can. That'll  get him answering :D
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Bazza

Don't know if I've ever seen it in Belfast.

There's a 5-year-old can of Guinness behind some stuff in the garage, if that's any good?

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

irish_goat

Alright folks, 15B - Dry Irish Stout style guidelines here.

BJCP sample scoresheet.

Will kick off in a few mins.  :)

Topics; circa 5mins on each
Presentation of bottle including graphics and fill level.
Appearance
Carbonation
Malt and hop aroma
Malt flavour
Hops
Mouthfeel

Marks out of 10

irish_goat

Caps off!  ;D

(feel like I'm talking to myself!)  :P

BigDanny84

I'm here.

Think the appearance of the bottle looks good. The black label with the gold design looks good on the dark bottle. For me O'Hara's labels are very easily identified.