• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 04:36:46 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

7.3% cider?

Started by admin, October 23, 2013, 07:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Got some 2L glass bottles of Old Rosie in Tesco in Norn Irn yesterday. 7.3% scrumpy. Not my favourite style cider I have to admit.

Anyway, I'm sure someone knows... I am doubting that this reached 7.3% without additional sugar of some sort? Do any apples give a starting gravity high enough to reach that sort of abv?

Eoin

I love that stuff, although it is 7.8 originally, I've noticed it dropped recently. I don't think they add stuff, Will is surely gonna know.

Sent from my HTC One

Eoin

Quote from: Il Tubo on October 23, 2013, 09:05:44 PM
I suspect it's dropped because of a change in the law in the UK. Cider of 7.5% and above now incurs a higher excise rate, with 8.5% being the legal max.

I suspected tax reasons alright. I think WJK's have it on tap.

TT

Eoin

The website claims it's very traditional and 8% was not uncommon for the style. I suspect that the scrumpy apple varieties are simply high in sugar.

Sent from my HTC One

CARA

Yeah it's one of our rotational ciders-one of the bag in boxes is currently expanding in the cellar-I'm pretty sure its re-fermenting in the bag!!
Upa Sesh

Will_D

Interesting

To get a 7.3% abv you would need juice at about 1.056. This is certainly at the very upper end of apple sugar content.

If then all the sugars turn to alcohol there will then be a 7.3% alcohol water mix.

Note that there is very little else in AJ to give any body to the solution.(Unlike in beers)

The density of a 7.3% A/W mix is 0.988

Can you get a gravity reading of this cider?

Would be interesting
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Will_D

Elementary dear Watson!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing