• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:08:04 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

400kg of apple left and the press explodes...

Started by JD, December 08, 2013, 05:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD

...well not really an explosion, but it went with a terrific bang. Anyway, I've now no way to make juice with these here apples. If anyone has a press handy I'd appreciate a dig out. Failing that, rather than see them go to waste, if anyone wants them for pigs or turkeys, they'll be here for the taking.

/JD
#nociderforme.

HomeBrewWest

If you are anywhere near Galway, you can borrow a press for free from us.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

JD

Hats off to you, HBW. A mighty generous offer that I would love to accept but I'm in Kildare and carting the pile to Galway is not feasible. Thanks again.

Will_D

@JD: PM me your phone number, and in morning and I will call you

@CH: But not before 11 am  ;)

@JD: [its an In Joke]
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

JD

First off, to HBW and Will_D, many thanks for your offers of help. It just goes to show the value of the HBC and the camaraderie it engenders among its members. Thanks again lads.

On reflection, I've come to the conclusion that I've just left things a bit too late in the year. With the Christmas rush, pressures of work and other commitments, last weekend was the weekend for pressing and the next available time will be January. I'm a bit concerned that the apples wont last. As things stand, I've recovered about 30L of juice. I've four 30L containers full of pulp and about 400Kg of raw apples. Will_D suggested a pulp fermentation and that's what I've done. I've put the 120L of pulp under air lock and we'll see how it ferments out. It will no doubt result in a lower yield than a pressing would give, but it will recover something. Come January, I'll take stock and if the apples have survived , I'll scrat what remains and do some more pulp fermentations. By end of February, with luck, I might end up with 70-80L in total. A poor result for 500Kg of apples but not a total loss.

So, lessons learned:

• Go on a welding course - welds that are adequate for every day, are not necessarily sufficient for the pressures of a cider press
  • Go on a steel buying course - high pressures need heavy steel.
  • Don't leave things so late.

If anyone wants to take some free apples for their own pressings, for animal feed, or for a shit load of apple tarts, drop me a PM.