• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:20:25 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Augustine Dublin Steam Lager

Started by delzep, February 10, 2014, 12:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delzep

Had a couple of pints of this in Dice Bar last night. Absolutely delicious stuff. Anyone know anything about it?

Ciderhead

Is it not another one in the series from BHB, I thought their Irish brewed was Sparta, is this perhaps from Belgium?
http://www.bighandbrewery.com/Welcome.html

delzep

The Augustine on that link is probably an Abbey Blond beer (I've had an Abbey Blond in Dice before...can't remember its name though).

The beer I had definately wasn't Belgian in terms of flavour

irish_goat

They used to get beer made for them in Banagher so it might be Bo Bristle/Carraig.

delzep

Actually, I remember the barman saying something about Naas...he could be wrong though I suppose

delzep

I presume so. The tap also says Anchor Brewery (1740) Dublin which is a bit odd

irish_goat

A cynical person might say they are trying to confuse punters into thinking it's Anchor Steam Beer from San Francisco...

kieranfinnerty

The Big Hand Brewery was something I made up in 2009, when I owned Sin è & Dice Bar. I decided it was time to get back into the brewing business. I setup and was the MD of Dublin Brewing Company on North King Street from 1996 till 2003. I went to Belgium & England and set about importing some beer. As an example, the first Revolution Beer was rebadged Bombardier Red Ale (the tap badge we made up clearly stated at the time that the beer was imported). The Smithwicks tap was removed from both bars and after a few months sales of the red ale had doubled. At that point I got 2 ex brewers from the DBC and we started brewing using Trouble Brewing facility in Kildare. We went down there with our own recipe, hops, malt, yeast and kegs. (Trouble Brewing filter, carbonate, keg the beer and charge us excise). The first batch we tasted and dumped. The second batch we sold as Revolution Red (the tap handle was changed from imported to Brewed in Ireland). For the last number of years the Revolution is the second best selling beer on draught in the Dice Bar after Guinness. In 2013 I stopped using the Big Hand Brewery tag and registered Augustine Brewery Dublin Ltd. Any beer we brew or import is now under that banner. Augustine Dublin Steam Lager we started brewing a few years ago and is based on a German Dampfbeir. The first 3 batches of that beer were dumped before we got to where we wanted the beer.

Greg2013

Quote from: kieranfinnerty on December 13, 2015, 07:24:19 PM
The Big Hand Brewery was something I made up in 2009, when I owned Sin è & Dice Bar. I decided it was time to get back into the brewing business. I setup and was the MD of Dublin Brewing Company on North King Street from 1996 till 2003. I went to Belgium & England and set about importing some beer. As an example, the first Revolution Beer was rebadged Bombardier Red Ale (the tap badge we made up clearly stated at the time that the beer was imported). The Smithwicks tap was removed from both bars and after a few months sales of the red ale had doubled. At that point I got 2 ex brewers from the DBC and we started brewing using Trouble Brewing facility in Kildare. We went down there with our own recipe, hops, malt, yeast and kegs. (Trouble Brewing filter, carbonate, keg the beer and charge us excise). The first batch we tasted and dumped. The second batch we sold as Revolution Red (the tap handle was changed from imported to Brewed in Ireland). For the last number of years the Revolution is the second best selling beer on draught in the Dice Bar after Guinness. In 2013 I stopped using the Big Hand Brewery tag and registered Augustine Brewery Dublin Ltd. Any beer we brew or import is now under that banner. Augustine Dublin Steam Lager we started brewing a few years ago and is based on a German Dampfbeir. The first 3 batches of that beer were dumped before we got to where we wanted the beer.

Let me begin by saying that what follows comes out of a recent online panel type discussion i was involved in where trademark infringment issues were discussed and that fact that Anchor Brewing USA hold the copyright to the phrase "steam" when it involves anything beer related. Having seen this tap handle this raises serious concern that ye might land yourselves in hot water. ;D

I hope for your sake that Anchor Brewing USA doesn't find out about this,number one because Anchor Brewery on the tap they might take issue with,secondly they hold the copyright to any phrase involving "steam" and beer(so i am led to believe anyway). ;D

Given the worldwide fame of Anchor Steam Beer i do think it is a bit of a stretch having a tap handle proudly displaying anchors,the words steam lager,and then in the middle Anchor Brewery etc.,a reasonable person not knowing any better could easily assume this is from Anchor Brewing Company and that it's their steam beer they are getting. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

nigel_c

It's not very often I'll agree with Greg but he sounds about right this time.
:) :D :D ;D >:( >:( :( :o 8) ??? :P

Bubbles

Quote from: Greg2013 on December 13, 2015, 08:55:13 PM

Let me begin by saying that what follows comes out of a recent online panel type discussion i was involved in where trademark infringment issues were discussed and that fact that Anchor Brewing USA hold the copyright to the phrase "steam" when it involves anything beer related. Having seen this tap handle this raises serious concern that ye might land yourselves in hot water. ;D

I hope for your sake that Anchor Brewing USA doesn't find out about this,number one because Anchor Brewery on the tap they might take issue with,secondly they hold the copyright to any phrase involving "steam" and beer(so i am led to believe anyway). ;D

Given the worldwide fame of Anchor Steam Beer i do think it is a bit of a stretch having a tap handle proudly displaying anchors,the words steam lager,and then in the middle Anchor Brewery etc.,a reasonable person not knowing any better could easily assume this is from Anchor Brewing Company and that it's their steam beer they are getting. ;D

That's a fairly spot-on assessment.. and I'm no lawyer..

It reminds me of the 'faux' spirits that Lidl (or is it Aldi?) do. A bottle of bourbon whose label intentionally bears a resemblance to that of Jack Daniels.. their vodka that looks almost like the Smirnoff label, and so on..  :)

Greg2013

Quote from: Bubbles on December 14, 2015, 10:38:07 AM
Quote from: Greg2013 on December 13, 2015, 08:55:13 PM

That's a fairly spot-on assessment.. and I'm no lawyer..

It reminds me of the 'faux' spirits that Lidl (or is it Aldi?) do. A bottle of bourbon whose label intentionally bears a resemblance to that of Jack Daniels.. their vodka that looks almost like the Smirnoff label, and so on..  :)

Oh i am no lawyer and i defer to greater minds than mine,however the aldi/lidl thing yes exactly same scenario although in that case i think they were clever enough to be just on the edge of plagurism,in the case of this Anchor Steam Lager it isn't on the edge it's ten miles behind enemy lines but that's just my opinion. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

DEMPSEY

Quote from: nigel_c on December 14, 2015, 10:27:54 AM
Yes I believe greg has it spot on ;).
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Greg2013

You cheeky git  :o :o :o

Greg2013

Quote from: DEMPSEY on December 14, 2015, 08:22:43 PM
Yes I believe greg has it spot on ;).

Ah sure me head wont fit through the door if ye don't stop. :P