• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:17:56 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Mayo mayo

Started by Chriswaters, December 31, 2020, 09:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colm89

Quote from: Matt DBrewer on January 29, 2021, 10:28:13 AMI've no experience or indeed much knowledge of using no chill apart from the fact it exists... it's used a lot in Australia and other hot countries, so I would imagine there's ways to preserve hop aroma and flavour... I'd say there's plenty of information if you google it

Almost certainly, however having gone back to smaller batches my immersion chiller gets them to pitching temp in no time at all with the current water temperature  8)

Chriswaters

Cheers Matt. There's a lot to guide me there. I'll definitely get on brewfather and seehow  best to go forward with my equipment. I'll do more googling and see how I get on.
A lot of other bits of info in there as well which are adding to my understanding of the whole process.  Even the correct terms to be using will help with the research.
10 litres is just gone to quick especially when im giving it away. I can see how this becomes an obsession.

Chriswaters

Thanks colm as well.  I missed that you were replying on the thread. You'd swear I've had a few already today :-\

Matt DBrewer

No bother at all! ... yeah, it's a slippery slope, and ten litres doesn't last very long at all, especially for lighter beers! It's also the same amount of work to do 10l as it is to do 50l once you have the equipment! ... If you need anything else, don't hesitate!
"Passionate about craft beer and brewing"
❇️Connacht Homebrewers
❇️Midlands Beer Club (Ireland)
❇️National Homebrew Club Committee
📍Mayo, Ireland 😁🍻

Chriswaters

Quote from: Matt DBrewer on January 29, 2021, 11:25:18 AMNo bother at all! ... yeah, it's a slippery slope, and ten litres doesn't last very long at all, especially for lighter beers! It's also the same amount of work to do 10l as it is to do 50l once you have the equipment! ... If you need anything else, don't hesitate!
yl

You'll regret that!

Matt DBrewer

Quote from: Chriswaters on January 29, 2021, 11:35:34 AM
Quote from: Matt DBrewer on January 29, 2021, 11:25:18 AMNo bother at all! ... yeah, it's a slippery slope, and ten litres doesn't last very long at all, especially for lighter beers! It's also the same amount of work to do 10l as it is to do 50l once you have the equipment! ... If you need anything else, don't hesitate!
yl

You'll regret that!

... I bet you stop talking about brewing before I do
❇️Connacht Homebrewers
📍Mayo, Ireland 😁🍻

colm89

Conversely I've gone backwards from 12 litre brews to 5-8 litre brews as I like to brew different stuff more often. I made the mistake of doing two batches of the same white IPA back to back and couldn't face the last 6 bottles so flushed them down the drain  ???

Chriswaters

Yeah there's thinking behind that. Especially as im only starting and want to get as many beers under my belt

Chriswaters

Quote from: Matt DBrewer on January 29, 2021, 11:41:00 AM
Quote from: Chriswaters on January 29, 2021, 11:35:34 AM
yl

You'll regret that!

... I bet you stop talking about brewing before I do
I'll put you in touch with my buddy. He'll give anyone a run for their money

Chriswaters

Hey lads. You've been great so far, can I pick your brains again.

So, I brewed a batch of blonde ale and sent bottles to friend in the UK who judged it and gave some feedback. He's picking up solvent and acetaldehyde off  flavours, mostly the former. Now that I'm looking for it im getting it. He thinks it's a water quality issue and recommending campden tablets used in the sanitizing process also. He's suggesting new fermenting bucket as mine has had a little use over 3 years trying wine and cider and may have picked up scratches and now hiding things.

I've just tried a bottle from my second brew,  attempt at an American pale ale I bottled only last Thursday. Same taste overriding everything. Kolsch currently being fermented.

Im looking for any additional suggestions?

Maybe even a willing test subject for a bottle?
Loaf of Spent grain Sourdough to clear the taste from the mouth.  That I know I can do right. 

Any feedback great or small is welcomed

Matt DBrewer

I'm far from an expert on tasting off flavours, but it sounds like your friend is on the right track! ... a simple way to rule out water is to make a batch with shop water, you can get 5l  bottles of Tesco water cheaply enough. My advice also with any old plastic equipment that may be scratched or you have any concerns about is just replace it, because you will never know for sure... the other thing then I would look at is yeast health, so this is fermentation temperature and control, pitching enough healthy yeast, and making sure they have the right nutrients 
❇️Connacht Homebrewers
📍Mayo, Ireland 😁🍻

Chriswaters

Cheers Matt,

So it was bottled water the first time but not the second,  but campden tablet used in the kettle.
He's suggesting that untreated tap water in the sanitizing process could be doing it.

I think im fermenting to high,  I'm fermenting in the kitchen and I don't know how accurate the temperature strip on the side of the bucket is. I've the kolsch in the utility with the heat turned off as that should ferment at a lower temp. The Kolsch might provide a bit more info for me.

It's a4 week turnaround before I know if anything is changing!!

This brewing lark ain't straight forward

Matt DBrewer

It's not, but trouble shooting and problem solving are a huge part of the fun!! ... I would be fairly confident your issue is temperature control so... I have a belgian beer fermenting at the moment, in a spare room without the heating on, and i let the temp free rise to stress the yeast to get some Belgian esters, and when I went in to check it earlier it had gotten up to 24°... what yeast are you using?
❇️Connacht Homebrewers
📍Mayo, Ireland 😁🍻

Matt DBrewer

During active fermentation the temp at the centre of your fermenter could be a few degrees higher than on the surface where the temp strip is
❇️Connacht Homebrewers
📍Mayo, Ireland 😁🍻

Chriswaters

Ok so I'd say fermenting way too high.  The pale ale was an English Pale Yeast,  11g pitched into 11 liters.

My first brew was red safale us 05

Kolsch was Kolsch Style Ale Yeast.

Im guessing im going to have the same issue with my Kolsch. Room temp reading 16 degrees.

What's the best way to  check fermentation temperature?