• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 05:39:59 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hello from the MontreAlers

Started by PaulB, February 27, 2013, 08:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulB

Hi All,

I've been lurking on the site for a couple of months, time to pull up a stool and say hello. I'm Paul, living in Montreal for the last 3 years, there is a healthy brew scene here and all across Canada. In fact joining a home brew club just before moving here was a great way to meet people.
Anyway, I started brewing all grain about 15 years ago in Dublin, then stopped for a while and started really getting into it again after movbing to Canada, love brewing most styles, particularily wild brews, anyway thats me  ;)

DEMPSEY

Welcome Paul,Great to see we are reaching out across the globe,Keep us informed on anything happening in Canada. Have you being following the progress of our first National Homebrew competition,are there any going on in Canada and if so,what are they like.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Ciderhead

Hi Paul, you are very welcome, most of us here have been weaned on your brewing ambassador Craig ;)

PaulB

Hi Dempsey,

thank you ! Yes, I brought home a couple of entries at Christmas and a buddy dropped them off for me at the B&C. There are many AHA/BJCP competitions in Canada, each province has at least one club and an annual competition, usually very professional very similar to our own !

One key difference in the beer scene is that it is tightly regulated, each province has a state monopoly which controls what can be sold, the result ( in Quebec) is an abysmal selection of international beers, lots of microbreweries but relatively little diversity.

From what I've seen the NHC is a world class club, with a site head and shoulders above most.

PaulB

Thanks Ciderhead, the only Canadian brewer that I met before moving here was Liam from the Dublin Brewing Company....many moons ago ;)

DEMPSEY

QuoteThanks Ciderhead, the only Canadian brewer that I met before moving here was Liam from the Dublin Brewing Company....many moons ago ;)
Cool,a former brewing Rock Star :). Any idea what he is at now.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

PaulB

Not sure, but I think he may have a brew pub in St.Johns now

Greg2013

PaulB check out newfoundbrewing on youtube, a nice guy doing his own thing his own way.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

fergus

Hey Paul, fancy meeting you here :) I have been lurking here for a while too and just joined and did my introduction