• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2024, 05:56:47 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

New menber

Started by hankjb, August 03, 2020, 07:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hankjb

Hello all,

This is Hank Buettner and I live outside of Wasilla, Alaska, USA  I am not sure if I am the only Yank on here, however I do promise not to be annoying.

What has motivated me to join your forum is only slightly complex.  We do not get the same Guinness in the US that is sold in Ireland.  What we get, tends to taste like a dark IPA mixed with the standard body of the Guinness you have.  All of our "Clones" in the US are based off of the Guinness in the US.  To be upfront, I make wine, and my friends make Meade and beer.  Combined we could keep a small pub up and running, so equipment is not an issue.  As I cannot get a supply of that wonderful stuff I drank while in your amazing country, I thought I would reach out to you local experts with help regarding hops selection, yeast, water profiles and other tips. This will help me bring a similar brew to my friends in the US who have not yet been blessed with a trip to Ireland.

If there is anything I can do for you in exchange for this knowledge, let me know and I will try.

One last thing, I have traveled a lot in my life.  To date I have never experienced any place whose beauty and people are as wonderful as Ireland.  Thank you, I cannot wait until I can return, it was supposed to be this summer and we all know what happened.

Stay safe, and happy brewing.

hank

nigel_c

Welcome

A simple Guinness clone recipe is 70:20:10
70% ale malt
20% flaked barley
10% roasted barley
WLP004
Mash around 63 for a dry wort
Single hop addition to about 40 ibu
Simple.

DEMPSEY

Recipe above is the standard go to for brewing a Guinness clone however the current beer has more like 23 IBU's now. To get the slightly sour note that Guinness of old was famous for try adding 3% acid malt.
Pale 69%,
Flaked barley 19%,
Roast barley 9%,
Acid malt 3%,
Any battering hop to give you 23 IBU.
WLP 004 Yeast.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

nigel_c

Also serve on nitro for the full experience

TheSumOfAllBeers

Once you have dialled that in, sub out 10% of the pale malt for something like brown malt for complexity.

You are drifting away from a Guinness clone now, but these experiments are fun and teach you a lot about what these specialty malts do to a dark beer.

Other malts worth the experiment would be:
Crystal
Amber
Biscuit
Black

Sorry for the threadjack

TheSumOfAllBeers

Hi Hank,

Where is US/North American Guinness made? I always assumed it would be close recipe wise to Irish Guinness, but historically they have been laid back about what licensees did with the brand.

mr hoppy

I thought it tasted more or less like what we have here in Toronto and SF. TBH much preferred McAuslan Oatmeal Stout in T.

What Hank describes sounds like Guinness IPA (or whatever it was called) which was a brownish, ok beer where the hops and nitro fought each other to a sort of English cask without the nuance stand still

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

hankjb

Hello all,

Thank you for the wonderful responses. Just to be specific, what I have tasted in the US are canned Genuine Draft, canned Extra Stout and whatever was on tap at the various "Irish" (almost) Pubs around the country.  I am not sure if Guinness is brewed in the US. The can I have in front of me says it was brewed in Dublin and imported by Diageo Beer Company.

I will now rally the brewers and see what we can come up with.  We will be trying some varieties too, I am sure.

Thank you again,

Happy brewing.

hank