• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 07:35:21 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Infected or not

Started by SureLook, July 27, 2021, 08:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SureLook

Opened up a dunkelweizen in the fermenter that I was about to bottle and saw this floating on top. Thought it might be infected but bottled anyway. I've not had an infected batch yet in 30 odd brews but there's always a first!

Didn't smell off or taste bad when I took a sip. Thoughts?
Wee County Brewers - Small County, Big Beers!

phildo79

That doesn't look good. When did you bottle it? You might find when it's time to pop one, it goes off like a rocket. If it does, it's infected. Something similar happened to a mate of mine recently when he made a cider. He noticed a white scum on top of his brew after seeing that the lid wasn't on correctly. He ended up with about 40 bottle bombs.

SureLook

Quote from: phildo79 on July 27, 2021, 08:42:30 PMThat doesn't look good. When did you bottle it? You might find when it's time to pop one, it goes off like a rocket. If it does, it's infected. Something similar happened to a mate of mine recently when he made a cider. He noticed a white scum on top of his brew after seeing that the lid wasn't on correctly. He ended up with about 40 bottle bombs.

Just bottled it tonight. I opened up the lid to take a gravity reading on day 5, the pic is day 14 (today) so potentially 9 days to get infected and multiply. The lid seemed to seal shut fairly well when I put it back on but sure who knows really.

Suppose I'll wait a week or so for it to carb and try one out. Good thing they're all out in the shed.
Wee County Brewers - Small County, Big Beers!

DEMPSEY

Looks like a pellicle forming there
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Tom

It happens. I find that has a chalky taste, but with a wheat beer that is ideally drunk fresh anyway, and especially a dark one like that, you might get to enjoy a few bottles before it becomes noticeable. Pity, but there you go.

Honestly, by day 14 I'm drinking my wheat beers, fully carbed, enjoying the bubblegum flavour while it lasts!

Air getting in is the problem, anyway. If you're going to leave it in a fermenter for fourteen days there's no point taking a hydrometer sample at day 5.