• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 07, 2024, 02:26:40 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hello Fellow Brewers

Started by FrankDrebbin, July 24, 2014, 09:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankDrebbin

Hi all, I'm a first time home brewer from Dublin 12 and I have failed miserably on my first attempt. I started with a St Peters IPA and ended up with a bucket of vinegar. I'm sure it was all my fault, probably lifting the lid a few times for a look didn't help.
I'm gonna try the craft range IPA next and I'm looking for any help or tips that anyone might gave to share.
Thanks
Frank

imark

Welcome to the forum Frank.
My suggestion would be get along to any of the club meets with a bottle and the guys will help you identify the problem and offer practical advice so that you can improve your brews. There are several clubs around you. Capital in city centre, or Liffey brewers in Lucan (officially best club - NHC 2014) and there might be something going on in Crumlin also.

baconsarnie

Hi Frank- loved your police work :)

Sounds like a straight forward infection. Sanitation & patience are key to making good beer- let that beer ferment & keep the lid closed.

Make sure you keep some notes of every brew you do, good & bad- that's how we all learn- from our failures as much as our successes

LordEoin

If the first one turned out like pure shite make sure to disinfect the bucket and all equipment completely before trying again.
I'd recommend trying your second brew with cheap finlandia kit (cos they're so cheap) or a coopers english bitter, IPA or wheatbeer(swap the wheetbeer yeast with WB06) (cos they're pretty hardy kits that will take a lot of abuse).

But if you're hell-bent on the craft range IPA, then read the stickies in the kit section to get all the important information under your belt and also read the craft range IPA review to get a good feel for the steps

FrankDrebbin

Thanks for the tips guy's, I poured the bucket of vinegar down the drain earlier the other half was giving out abut the smell. I cleaned and sterilised everything, I'll read those treads and decide what I will do. Maybe start again next weekend.
Thanks
Frank