• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 11:25:48 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Ahoy

Started by Beermonger, January 21, 2015, 11:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beermonger

Hi all. OK, I'm regretting the nick now. It seemed funny at the time...

Anyway, I'm Stephen from Dublin. I've been homebrewing for about 3 years now. I started when I was living in Poland and someone gave me a few kilos of honey that I didn't know what to do with. Made a godawful mead (actually, it became drinkable a year later), and gave up meadmaking for the instant gratification of beer.

At the moment I'm not brewing nearly enough as I'd like to. See, I need an equipment upgrade to take the hassle out of certain parts of the process. So I'm working on a brewery rebuild. I might be asking some questions on the Equipment forum soon!

Looking forward to getting back into brewing and maybe going along to the local club!
Planning: DIPA, Kweik PA, Calibration Pale Ale
Putrifying: nothing
Pouring: Lovely Saison, Czech Lager, 1804 Porter
Past: Cashmere PA

LordEoin

Avast! I like your name. Good job.
What are you upgrading?

Beermonger

As for the equipment- everything, really. Currently using a too-small stockpot to heat water, a bucket and bag as mashtun, and the too-small stockpot again as a kettle. It's quite the pain, so I'm thinking of the bucker-boiler with kettle elements as the HLT and kettle and a false-bottom or bazooka screen in a bucket for the MLT. So nothing very fancy as yet, but I do want temp control on the HLT as I typically spend far too long trying to prepare, say, 15 litres of water at 75 degrees.

Once I have that done, I'll address the real bottleneck: packaging. I hate bottling and don't have time for it. I have a nice brown ale waiting far too long in the FV because I can't be arsed to bottle it. So I'll be getting kegs and fridges and all that. Yay!

Shanna

Welcome to the site Stephen. Where in Dublin are you

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Beermonger

I'm out near Heuston at the mo. Bad side: apartments aren't great for brewing. Good side: a comfortable stagger home from Mulligan's in Stoneybatter, Bull & Castle, and any other number of sources of good beer.