• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 08:11:25 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Rolled Barley

Started by cruiscinlan, October 06, 2016, 11:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cruiscinlan

For those of you who've used agricultural rolled barley, any pointers?

I've got some from a workmate but theres a weird (to me) smell off it, in with the barley there's also what looks like small bits of pellets of some sort.  Any farming types able to shed light on this for me?

Leann ull

Animal feed and human food grades are handled and processed differently and animal grades often contain additives. On the plus side your milk yield will improve and you'll stretch a few inches from the growth hormone.

cruiscinlan

I'd only love a bit of growth hormone meself but I definitely didn't see it marked on the bag. It's just marked rolled barley, no additional ingredients.

pob

Quote from: cruiscinlan on October 06, 2016, 11:03:14 PM
but theres a weird (to me) smell off it

There's the clue, if you're not happy with one of your ingredients in your beer don't use it; chances are it will carry through.

Use that rolled barley for some hungry animals not your beer.

imark

The smell is from an acid treatment to stop it going bad. I've used it without any problems. Haven't noticed it ever come through in the beer.

DEMPSEY

Quote from: CH on October 07, 2016, 08:00:10 AM
Animal feed and human food grades are handled and processed differently and animal grades often contain additives. On the plus side your milk yield will improve and you'll stretch a few inches from the growth hormone.
:D :D :D
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us