• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 12:44:31 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

un-malted Barley

Started by aweisse, December 22, 2016, 08:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aweisse

Anyone know where ide get some unmalted barley.

Leann ull

Hang around furtively at the back of those trucks that tip into MCI and take a scoop.
For what purpose? I'm sure Chris in MCI would sort you out?

aweisse

all im looking for is a few kilos, ive an idea for a wit recipie i want to try out.

cruiscinlan

Probably the easiest thing is to use pearl barley/pot barley. Its dehusked grain. Another option is places that do wheatgrass for growing at home as barley grass is now a health food thing, so they would sell raw barley seed (ie grain).

nigel_c

Quote from: aweisse on December 22, 2016, 08:38:54 PM
all im looking for is a few kilos, ive an idea for a wit recipie i want to try out.

Torrified Wheat

mr hoppy

Flaked (unmalted) barley is available from HBS and from health food shops like the Quay Co-op and upstairs in Paul Street. It's a bit cheaper in HBS.

Unmalted wheat would be more typical for a wit. If you need it immediately you could try Macroom Mills flour. It's available in Supervalu and Dunnes and has a very coarse crush (similar to crushed malt more than flour). Again the HBS will have torrified or flaked wheat a bit cheaper.

imark

Cheapest place for flaked or unmalted grain is animal feed. They sell rolled barley at a fraction of the cost of hbs flaked barley.
If you only want a kilo or two it's simplest to buy from hbs.

DEMPSEY

Not as clean though. The stuff can have stones and grit in it
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

imark

Quote from: DEMPSEY on December 24, 2016, 12:24:06 PM
Not as clean though. The stuff can have stones and grit in it
I've used a 25kg bag of flaked (rolled) barley and it was comparable to stuff I paid multiple times more for from a hbs.
Why does a kilo of flaked barley in hbs cost four times as much as feed and twice as much as malted barley?
You can't sell bags of stones as feed. And if you can't taste the difference...

aweisse

where did you get the flaked (rolled) barley from, a co-op store ?

imark

I got mine from a place in the JFK industrial estate. Think most co-op stock good range of raw and rolled cereals.

cruiscinlan

Re flaked barley, I posted on a thread here before about Red Mills feed, I rang up and asked the nutritionist they have on staff about the specs. Only treatment the grain gets is rolling and steam, it isn't sold as human grade as they don't have an  all-stainless plant apparently.

You will find that animal feed is often acid washed to stop it getting moldy in storage so check about that.

For raw wheat an easy source is polish/eastern european shops many will have 'Pszenica' which is raw wheat grains.

Shanna

Quote from: aweisse on December 22, 2016, 08:31:46 PM
Anyone know where ide get some unmalted barley.
Can't suggest a commercial supply but I have a large bag of unmalted barley at home in South Dublin. If your anywhere nearby your welcome to some.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member