• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:43:47 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

CO2 suppliers in NI

Started by SureLook, July 23, 2021, 09:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SureLook

I'm finally making the switch across to kegging and have been trying to source a good (or any) supplier of co2 tanks in NI. I saw the thread on AJ in Bray which sounds like a good deal from what I can see, however, that's at least a 4.5-5 h round trip for me as I'm about 30 mins outside Belfast, which isnt ideal.

Anyone NI homebrewers have local/semi-local suppliers for co2?
Wee County Brewers - Small County, Big Beers!

Acott

Tom

Northern Cryogenics, I think they're called. Absolutely sound, absolutely cheap. They deliver in rounds. I called up, paid, and they told me where to meet the driver!

SureLook

Quote from: Acott on July 23, 2021, 02:26:47 PMhttps://www.gastechandgear.co.uk/ is the place to go

Sweet, seems like a decent crowd, I'll give them a go.

I don't eat meat but I can give you some soy based meat alternative?

SureLook

Quote from: Tom on July 23, 2021, 05:41:52 PMNorthern Cryogenics, I think they're called. Absolutely sound, absolutely cheap. They deliver in rounds. I called up, paid, and they told me where to meet the driver!

Nice. Thanks for the response!

Tom

Quote from: Acott on July 23, 2021, 02:26:47 PMhttps://www.gastechandgear.co.uk/ is the place to go
Ooh, hello! These guys seem to do mixed gas, which Northern Cryo didn't at my last time of asking. Thanks!

Bazza

There's a few of us get our CO2 at Nifex, Colinglenn Road, on the outskirts of Belfast. In fact, there's 2 different suppliers in that same yard.

£20 for a full of a 6kg CO2 tank. Think a new tank, filled, is around £100. They just swap your empty with a full, one.

HTH,

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

SureLook

Quote from: Bazza on July 26, 2021, 02:01:28 PMThere's a few of us get our CO2 at Nifex, Colinglenn Road, on the outskirts of Belfast. In fact, there's 2 different suppliers in that same yard.

£20 for a full of a 6kg CO2 tank. Think a new tank, filled, is around £100. They just swap your empty with a full, one.

HTH,

-Barry

Jaysus that's some deal for a refill  :o  will be looking a new or used one to get me going but the refill price seems pennies compared to what I've seen on some online shops.

Bazza

Might be worth asking what they can do for you for a used one. I got a second, smaller 2kg tank, used, from Nifex for a tenner. Only another tenner to fill it.

They do mixed gas too, but not sure of prices for tanks or refills.

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

SureLook

Quote from: Bazza on July 27, 2021, 02:55:05 PMMight be worth asking what they can do for you for a used one. I got a second, smaller 2kg tank, used, from Nifex for a tenner. Only another tenner to fill it.

They do mixed gas too, but not sure of prices for tanks or refills.

-Barry

I was just onto them there and your man said it's £80 for a full new 6 kg tank and £20 per refill afterwards.

On a related note doesn anyone have experience with using mixed gas systems (say 75:25 nitrogen:CO2) to force carbonate their beer? The guy suggested that the majority of people he does refills for go for mixed systems but I'm not sure if this would be the right job for force carbonating a keg followed by serving?

Gerryjo

If it's of any interest BOC do 6kg suregas though you need to set up an account so you pay around £35 for a refill and it's £4 rental a month for the bottle.
You would contact your local supplier to get the account set up as they don't do this through their website.

Tom

Force carb on cheap CO2, only dispense with mixed.

Figure out your desired carbonation level, and set it to that. I was going for about 8psi iirc, then using a 25:75 co2 to nitrogen mix, you would set your regulator to 32psi ( four 8s, or 8psi being 25% of 32psi). Numbers might be wrong, premise is correct!

Balance your beer line to that, or vice versa.

Usual caveat: that's the way I done it!