• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 05, 2024, 05:50:44 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

DME+ Dex Or LME?

Started by Greg2013, November 17, 2016, 07:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

Although this was directed at some of my UK home brew friends i talk to maybe someone closer to home can shed some light on if there is any noticeable end product difference between these two options,TIA. ;D

PS: CH fyi that is not a bollock adjust at 03.20  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3vkRYmVeYg
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

irish_goat

2 reasons I always bought DME were because it was easier to use as opposed to the sticky cans of LME and it also keeps longer.

irish_goat

3rd reason: You can use half a bag and store the rest. That's not really feasible with half a can of LME.

Greg2013

Quote from: irish_goat on November 17, 2016, 08:39:41 PM
2 reasons I always bought DME were because it was easier to use as opposed to the sticky cans of LME and it also keeps longer.

Quote from: irish_goat on November 17, 2016, 08:43:24 PM
3rd reason: You can use half a bag and store the rest. That's not really feasible with half a can of LME.

That seems to be the only difference between the two options so far.For me personally the LME makes more sense because lets face it i am going to use the whole 1.5kg anyway,unless of course you are making a darker brew which requires dark dme. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Leann ull

Parky

+1 to Irish Goat's points above.

There's no reason not to use all LME, there're plenty of two can kits out there that do the job nicely, and malt extracts like Maris Otter are only readily available in LME form.

When using all DME I've found it produces a 'cleaner' taste and mouthfeel than LME, which can leave a hint of that 'home brew twang'. I've also found that using all LME in a brew can cause some issues with underattenuation (a high amount of dextrins in some brands of LME), but a small addition of dextrose (5-10%), and some yeast nutrient can help address that.

It also depends on personal taste and the style being brewed - lighter styles would benefit from a DME+dextrose addition, whereas amber and darker styles would be suited to LME+small dextrose addition.

LordEoin

I don't really like LME. I did a few test batches with LME&DME only (no hops etc) and various kit and commercial yeasts and found that most of the Kit Twang came from the LME as opposed to the popular belief that the yeast is the problem.

Greg2013

Quote from: Parky on November 18, 2016, 09:20:48 AM
+1 to Irish Goat's points above.

There's no reason not to use all LME, there're plenty of two can kits out there that do the job nicely, and malt extracts like Maris Otter are only readily available in LME form.

When using all DME I've found it produces a 'cleaner' taste and mouthfeel than LME, which can leave a hint of that 'home brew twang'. I've also found that using all LME in a brew can cause some issues with underattenuation (a high amount of dextrins in some brands of LME), but a small addition of dextrose (5-10%), and some yeast nutrient can help address that.

It also depends on personal taste and the style being brewed - lighter styles would benefit from a DME+dextrose addition, whereas amber and darker styles would be suited to LME+small dextrose addition.

Oh no doubt there are good two can kits out there,since the majority are still one can kits though i was just wondering if there was any quality difference between the two options is all.On that point you raise and interesting idea re the "home brew twang".I would not have thought of adding Dex+nutrient to combat this so good tip ty.Yes i have notice that that all LME do seem to struggle at times with attenuation. ;D

Quote from: LordEoin on November 18, 2016, 10:06:42 AM
I don't really like LME. I did a few test batches with LME&DME only (no hops etc) and various kit and commercial yeasts and found that most of the Kit Twang came from the LME as opposed to the popular belief that the yeast is the problem.

I did wonder if this was a possibility allright. ;D

Pheeel

The LME in the cans are shite. When I started doing partial kits in the States the HBS had a vat in the back where they'd pour you off some fresh LME. SO much better!!
Issues with your membership? PM me!

LordEoin

yeah, the LME in pouches is far cleaner than the stuff in cans for some reason

Greg2013

Quote from: LordEoin on November 18, 2016, 03:08:33 PM
yeah, the LME in pouches is far cleaner than the stuff in cans for some reason

Maybe a processing or storage issue? :(