• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 09:24:44 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] Craft Range IPA

Started by fishjam45 (Colin), May 30, 2014, 11:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycott

ive had that happen to a few brews and only ever when dry hopping with a muslin bag, i do think they can harbour some spores etc even with sanitising them, Ive recently been boiling them for 10min minimum and this has stopped the infection!

ronanp

wow wasn't expecting that kind of a response HBW. Thank you very much, will take you up on your very kind offer. Have PM you

Have bottled a few bottles to see if any was salvageable. At the time mainly because i was thinking how tasty it is and i have nothing to lose.  But now with hindsight I am wondering if it is the healthiest approach to take. Should have kept some of the growth to have a look at under the microscope at work tomorrow to see if I could ID the culprit

ronan

LordEoin

You should always boil the shite out of a muslin bag. It's the only way. Soaking them in sanitizer is like trying to wash a sponge.
And give your hands a good scrub/soak with sanitizer too.

just curious about your oddly angular FV ronan, what is it?

ronanp

Lord Eoin I had boiled bag for 3 minutes as per instructions will up that for the next time. The FV is the coopers one with the removable ring.

LordEoin

oh yeah, i know the ones. I have one in the shed actually. with the krausen collar and the straight sided truncated circle shaped top :)

ronanp

Got the delivery on christmas eve morning, Thanks again HBW.

soc1

Bottled this one about 10 days ago.

Patience got the better of me yesterday so opened a couple. First one was drinkable. Definitely not ready but enjoyable. Second one seemed very flat and not really drinkable.

Would this be down to under carbonating or have I made a balls of something else?

Or is it just a case of it needs more time?

P.S. Great review on this.

fishjam45 (Colin)

Did allow it to carb at the same temperature that it fermented at?
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

soc1

Quote from: fishjam45 on January 18, 2015, 07:49:36 PM
Did allow it to carb at the same temperature that it fermented at?

Half of them were put into a box and placed in a cupboard so probably a bit colder.

The other half were in a box but in the living room so would have been exposed to more heat.

Now that I think about it it's the ones in the Living room that tasted ok. Probably explains why.

Will the other one be OK as long as I put it in a warmer environment?

fishjam45 (Colin)

It should help but I'm not 100% - maybe a more experienced member could say?
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

LordEoin

They should be fine.
Probably unnecessary but i'd invert them and give them a swirl to get the yeast back into suspension. It'll settle out again afterwards.

shweeney

Quote from: LordEoin on January 20, 2015, 01:01:44 AM
They should be fine.
Probably unnecessary but i'd invert them and give them a swirl to get the yeast back into suspension. It'll settle out again afterwards.

I've had 2 flat brews recently and have found inverting the bottles for a few days definitely helped matters (to an extent, part of the problem was I'd underprimed them).  Followed this method: http://jaysbrewingblog.com/2012/11/29/under-carbonated-beer-quick-fix/

johnrm

What this does is agitate your yeast cake and introduce a larger surface area. I'm not convinced that out will add carbonation more than inverting, give it a shake, and back to right way up.
That said, I have a slightly undercarbed beer in bottles at the mo, so I'll give it a go!

Ideo

February 10, 2015, 08:10:27 PM #58 Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:32:00 PM by Ideo
Evening all, wondering if you could help me.

I brewed this kit on Sunday night, it went relatively smoothly. Temp of the 23l wort was about 24 degrees so I left the lid on the fv, allowed it to cool to 22/23 and added the yeast and gave it a gentle stir.

I left the fv in a wardrobe that I stored my last two homebrews, checked it on Monday night and the temp was only 10/12 degrees. I have a brewbelt so I stuck that in last night and have had it on since, it's about 20 degrees at the moment. I read that the brewbelt raises the temp by about 10degrees so that seems fairly consistent with the temps im getting.

I'm a bit worried that because the temp dropped between the time of adding the yeast to the wort and the temp getting back up to the 20 degrees that this might have allowed bacteria to take over? Will the fact that the brew didn't start for maybe a day and half affect the brew?

Also, is the jury still out on whether to stir the wort after adding the yeast or just add to to the top of the wort and leave it to settle itself?

EDIT: Just came across another thread with more or less the same issue as mine: http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,8813.0.html

I wrapped the FV up in a blanket last night and checked this morning and it was bubbling away nicely. Temp was about 24 and i could see some nice krausen around the top of the wort - hoping its all ok

mervynskidmore

Just stuck this on this afternoon. I didn't add the 650g dextrose as I'm looking for something a bit more sessionable. Anybody have any idea what abv I might get? With the 650g it says 5.7% but I'm hoping for something like 4.5-5.0%. Couldn't find the hydrometer this afternoon, gf tidied it away somewhere.