• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 03:58:30 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

2009 Mariage Parfait

Started by admin, January 26, 2014, 09:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Have a few bottles of this courtesy HQ. Trying to grow up the dregs. Any point? Is it too old?

Will_D

Quote from: Tubomyces on January 26, 2014, 09:42:47 PM
Have a few bottles of this courtesy HQ. Trying to grow up the dregs. Any point? Is it too old?
Never!

I believe that the RAF squadron (#8) that flew Shackeltons (Lancasters) into the 90s as Maritime reckon and SAR had a motto:

"Old Age and Stealth will beat Youth and Exuberance Always"

The squadron meccahnics were even know to take bits off a Shack in the Manchester Air and Space Museum!

Motto of the Lancaster: "Two million rivets flying in close formation"
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

mr hoppy

Can't remember where I read it but apparently when some one put samples of 100 year old Artic Ale under the microscope, there was nothing alive in it...

except the brett. O0

mr hoppy

Were you trying to build up a lambic culture?

mr hoppy

How long did you give it? From my limited experience it takes 6 months+ to get anything out of the brett in Orval.

mr hoppy

Try putting the dregs of half a dozen bottles into something else when you're bottling and then give it six months to a year.

imark

Keep faith... Dregs of two bottles of 3 fontein dumped into a demijohn last weekend...

imark

Sent it from tapatalk so can't see what it's like on browser. Will get better pic tonight.

imark

Ok. Here's a more useful picture.

mr hoppy

I'm accumulating dregs from lambics at the moment but I'd be trying to avoid culturing it up to much as the blend of bugs will favour the faster growing bacteria more than the slower growing brett.

imark

I'll be tasting this and I'll judge the flavour profile. My understanding is that the krausen is yeast and therefore Brett.

mr hoppy

Yah need some germs too! A lambic isn't a lambic without a massive blast of pedioccocus!

imark

I've taken that into account. Test results will be published.

mr hoppy

Ciderhead

Quote from: mr happy on January 31, 2014, 10:15:59 PM
Yah need some germs too! A lambic isn't a lambic without a massive blast of pedioccocus!

Is that like athletes foot?