• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:06:26 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hops drop off

Started by Acott, May 28, 2015, 09:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acott

Hey lads, just a quick question.

I made the Apollo IPA kit from the Home Brewing Company. OG was 1.064 (expected was 1.061), day 12 and its down to 1.010 (expected was 1.012).

As per instructions I added the hops at day 7, but they haven't dropped off like I expected, the majority is sitting at the top and some bits are falling slowly, making it very murky with chunks of this and that floating about.

I had planned on bottling this weekend but now I'm unsure. I'm thinking I should rack to another vessel and give it another week for the other bits and pieces to fall out and for it to clear up a bit, am I right, or should I bottle anyway?

Qs

Don't wait a whole week.  This happened me recently and I waited it out and it ended up really grassy. Have you tried cold crashing?

dcalnan

Are they leaf, because theyll float at the top. The nylon mesh bags are brilliant for dry Hopping ,  keeps all of them together and makes siphoning off easier

Acott

Quote from: Qs on May 28, 2015, 09:33:56 PM
Don't wait a whole week.  This happened me recently and I waited it out and it ended up really grassy. Have you tried cold crashing?

I was thinking of racking them off the hops altogether, unfortunately I have no means of cold crashing

Quote from: dcalnan on May 28, 2015, 09:39:45 PM
Are they leaf, because theyll float at the top. The nylon mesh bags are brilliant for dry Hopping ,  keeps all of them together and makes siphoning off easier

They are leaf but they never came with a hop bag, I just whacked them in! Now that I think of it, they were supposed to come with a hop bag

Qs

Oh they're leaf, I was thinking pellets. Just rack from underneath them then.

krockett

I always use the nylon bag. As dcalnan says it works great. A nylon stocking will do the same job if you're stuck (boil it first).

Acott

I'll rack it today should do the trick, cheers lads