• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 09:57:33 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Suggested Viewing For Beginners.

Started by Greg2013, December 30, 2012, 03:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

December 30, 2012, 03:44:24 PM Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 03:47:19 PM by deadman1972
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57iwm0jc2Sc

As my dad always says "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" and that is never truer i would imagine than with home brewing.For virgin brewers like myself youtube can be both a friend and a minefield leading to complete confusion. I have included a link above to a channel which i think is one of the better ones, it must be because all the other channels keep referring to it constantly in good terms.

Bear in mind he is Canadian so when he is talking temperature it is more than likely in Farenheight not Celsius as we use,just convert using an online converter.Anyway i recommend browsing his channel thoroughly as he appears to be bang on and he does not overly complicate things. He also uses kits from a tin a fair bit which is where i reckon most virgin brewers find themselves heading.

Now i have found that the biggest confusion for me is what to add when doing the primary fermentation. I mean once you have say your tin of coopers stout like above added to your vessel do you use table sugar/dry malt extract/brewing sugar????? Everybody seems to have a different opinion and i would suggest that for your virgin brew you make up your own mind after watching a few of these vids.

Another channel i would suggest watching is http://www.youtube.com/user/whatsbrewinguk

Best way i can describe this guys attitude is "ah feck it lets give it a lash and see what happens". I like that as it puts me at ease,thats not to say that he is not professional as such just a more relaxed attitude,plus he is a savage for beer,you will see what i mean :o

"Virgin Brewer" refers to somebody brewing for the very very first time, not somebody returning after 20yrs. Also it does not refer to what a persons experience may or may not be in other matters ;)
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)