• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:49 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Keezer build check

Started by bighoppapump, April 15, 2021, 10:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bighoppapump

I'm set to inherit an old chest freezer shortly and want to get ahead of the game by ordering what I need in advance. After some digging here and all over the internet I've decided on doing my liquid side with barbs and looking to buy the following. My head is a little fried from trying to make sure everything should fit together so I'm hoping someone can point out if I've missed anything or whether these parts aren't compatable:

- Nukatap SS:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001035129031.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.1.59cb1a1fgry53n
- Shank with barb that fits 4mm - 6mm line: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001084313873.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.62.519e5e3bXShxIW
- 3/16 line & jubilee clips
- Barbed Quick disconnect. Google tells me that this is about 1/4 or 6mm but you should be able to force 3/16 line over it if needed. Does this sound right or do I need to add more to my configuration?

TheSumOfAllBeers

The nukatap looks pretty interesting from an inspector gadget perspective. But no flow control?

bighoppapump

Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on April 16, 2021, 12:40:59 AMThe nukatap looks pretty interesting from an inspector gadget perspective. But no flow control?
I think there is a flow control version of it but its definitely a step up from the picnic tap in fridge setup I currently have.

Palealeman

how many taps are you going for? I'm just finishing off mine now and got these shanks. I would also recommend flow control and forward sealing taps as avoids clogging up the tap.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-4-Elbow-Shank-Beer-Tap-Kegerator-Draft-Beer-Faucet-Accs-for-Homebrew-100mm/233785572273?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

bighoppapump

Quote from: Palealeman on April 16, 2021, 08:46:59 AMhow many taps are you going for? I'm just finishing off mine now and got these shanks. I would also recommend flow control and forward sealing taps as avoids clogging up the tap.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-4-Elbow-Shank-Beer-Tap-Kegerator-Draft-Beer-Faucet-Accs-for-Homebrew-100mm/233785572273?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
I'm going to start with 3 for now. The chest freezer is quite large and can easily support more but I can't imagine that I'll have 6 beers on draft regularly so can add them in future if needed.
From what I've read the nukataps are all forward sealing and are replacements for intertaps but the models I've picked out don't have flow control.
Are you opting for barbs + hose clamps or John Guest fittings on the liquid and gas sides? I think I'm going to do barbs on the liquid side and John Guest on the gas side of things. Also the shanks you linked look like a good deal. They have a bigger barb size than the one I originally linked and I think the difference comes down to what beer line diameter you want to use.
I've skimmed different posts about 3/8 vs 3/16 ID line and looks like your shanks will take the 3/8 line. Is there any obvious reason to pick one over the other? From what I can see the resistance/foaming is determined by diameter so one choice requires a longer line than the other but maybe there is more to it. Also do you know if most shanks fit most taps. I'm kind of set on buying the nukataps but if I can buy cheaper shanks than the ones I linked then I'm all for it

Palealeman

i would recommend the flow control as well if they're not too expensive. I went for JG fittings with hose clamps for the shanks barb. Yeah, the barb side is bigger alright and does result in foaming with a 3/8 line...unless you want to have a very very long line! I have bought a few reducers now to use the 3/16 beer line (but haven't got around to putting them on yet) as i want a shorter neater line. The shanks i bought fitted my intertaps that i already had anyway- so i'd guess they're pretty universal in size.