• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 17, 2024, 04:30:13 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

South Dublin Brewers - Next Meet - Thur 28th August

Started by Bubbles, August 19, 2014, 07:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

August 19, 2014, 07:27:38 PM Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:30:23 PM by Bubbles
Apologies for the somewhat late notice. Next meet is on the last Thursday of the month as usual, but as there's a table quiz going on in the lounge, we have a table reserved in the bar. Just on the left as you come in the door.

Table quiz might be a bit high-brow for us... ;)

Sign-up below...

Bubbles

Shanna

August 19, 2014, 08:02:56 PM #2 Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:14:28 PM by Shanna
1. Bubbles - dunno yet, probably an oaked porter
2.  Shanna - Spiced wit beer (assuming it's carbonated :)), Control Sample of English Barley Wine, Barrel Sample of English Barley wine

Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

dn218

2.  Shanna - Spiced wit beer (assuming it's carbonated :)), Control Sample of English Barley Wine, Barrel Sample of English Barley wine
3. Dn218 - Lazarus Frankenkaner Weissbeir

ronnieb

Would have loved to have gone to this one, alas I have to go to a wedding back in Germany.  Will get to the next one with hopefully a drinkable first AG effort.

Shanna

Quote from: ronnieb on August 20, 2014, 07:44:44 PM
Would have loved to have gone to this one, alas I have to go to a wedding back in Germany.  Will get to the next one with hopefully a drinkable first AG effort.
Sounds good look forward to it.

Shanna

Hops Group buy packer

Brewtus

4. Brewtus - Belgian Blonde and Dubbel
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Shanna

Hope our newest competition winner John (winner of the Garden County Brewers Irish Red Ale Competition) can attend and bring us a sample of his winning beer with him for us to taste.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Bubbles

I do believe "The Champ" brought his winning bevvie to last month's meet! But hopefully he can spare us another bottle!!

Well done John lad.

Bubbles

Looks like the next meet is going to a bit of a Belgian/German affair, but unfortunately I don't have anything that fits the theme. I've got a dubbel in the bottle, but although promising, it's still a little green.

Shanna

Quote from: Bubbles on August 24, 2014, 07:36:14 PM
I do believe "The Champ" brought his winning bevvie to last month's meet! But hopefully he can spare us another bottle!!

Well done John lad.
Was that not a saison? anyway looking forward to trying as my own effort was pants & not well received :(

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Rossa

4. Brewtus - Belgian Blonde and Dubbel
5. Rossa - ESB, red

Bubbles

Ehh... True, he did bring a saison. He might have brought the irish red the month before??

Ah well, you have plenty of time to work on your recipe before the nationals. We'll hold john down and get the recipe out of him. :)

I find irish red a difficult style to do well in competition. We were discussing this last month in the DH. I've always been really pleased with my own efforts, but the judges don't seem to agree. Scored 38 in 2013 and 35 in 2014. I like more hops in my reds than is recommended for style.

Rossa

Quote from: Bubbles on August 24, 2014, 08:43:43 PM
Ehh... True, he did bring a saison. He might have brought the irish red the month before??

Ah well, you have plenty of time to work on your recipe before the nationals. We'll hold john down and get the recipe out of him. :)

I find irish red a difficult style to do well in competition. We were discussing this last month in the DH. I've always been really pleased with my own efforts, but the judges don't seem to agree. Scored 38 in 2013 and 35 in 2014. I like more hops in my reds than is recommended for style.

Me too. We had some cracking beers yesterday but some just weren't to style. The judges should be telling entrants with great beers that they are fantastic but may not be to style. A 35 pointer could be deemed not to style but still a cracker of a beer.

Bubbles

True. I think brewing for competitions and matching beers to an appropriate category is a big skill in itself. Too often home brewers will blindly follow a recipe and enter a beer in a competition category just because that was the category specified in the recipe they followed. Brewers need to use their own judgement and tastebuds in order to match their beer to the best category in the style guidelines.

I don't think it helps that all of the commercial irish reds are pretty different. The new (draft) BJCP guidelines lists o'haras and franciscan well as the best two commercial examples of the style, and they couldn't be more different. As nice as the FW beer is, i think it would actually score poorly in a BJCP competition. It's got none of the roasted barley dryness that is deemed an integral part of the style.

Rossa, any specifics on why some of yesterday's beers weren't to style?