• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:47:15 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Best before date on kit

Started by eyeball kid, July 13, 2017, 01:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeball kid

Hi all,

I've had a craft range Red Ale bubbling away for the last 10 days or so. Had actually planned to bottle this evening or tomorrow.
However I've just noticed that the best before date is Dec 2016. I bought it last year so it's my fault but just wondering is it worth bottling or just pour it down the drain?

I've never brewed one of the these before or even an ale so have no frame of reference as to whether it will be ok or not.

Thanks..

Keg

Bottle it!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

irish_goat

Welcome to the forum! First off I would suggest giving it another few days in the fermenter, this gives the yeast time to cleanup the beer and remove some off flavours etc. Also, it'll allow more time for yeast and trub to settle at the bottom and give you a clearer beer.

Best before dates are subjective really, best thing to do is give the beer a taste before bottling. It should be ok, probably won't be at its best but I'd imagine it'll still be drinkable.

eyeball kid

I'll give it another couple of days before I bottle but I might as well. I'm not one that's too worried about BB dates but just thought I'd check.

Had a taste last night when I took a gravity reading and it wasn't too bad. Didn't taste like poison anyway!

Thanks for the help.