• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 10:07:10 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

First brew

Started by kris.purchase, August 09, 2017, 12:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kris.purchase

Hello all,

I just started my first brew on Saturday. The staff at my local brew supply shop suggested I start with a Coopers Canadian blonde kit and added the following:

Coopers Beer Kit Canadian Blonde (5 Gallon/19 Litre)
Dextrose Priming Sugar (1 lb)
Briess Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract DME (1 lb)

OG was 1041

I used the yeast that came with the kit
I have it fermenting in my basement. This is were I have questions as I see a number of people have been asking when starting their first brew, what temperature do I keep it at during fermentation? The coopers instructions say 21c - 27c. That sounds like a big temperature range and a bit on the warm side. Online I keep seeing lower temperatures like 16c - 20c. I pitched my yeast at 22c and the temperature on the bucket has dropped to about and stayed around 17c -18c. Will I be okay at that temperature? I was going to leave it for about 10 - 14 days before testing and possibly bottling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

oinkely

Temp sounds fine to me - leave it alone and let it ferment out.  It will be great. 

Ceedee

I'm brewing this same kit now with a few tweaks - http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/82/

18 is spot on, it'll ferment out fine. Do you have a hydrometer to tell when fermentation has finished? You will be fine after 10 to 14 days, but useful to know for sure and also to get your ABV readings.

Welcome to the obsession :-)

kris.purchase

Thank you for your feedback and yes I do have a hydrometer to get the ABV readings. I am really looking forward to working my way up to all grain. Figured I should start off with an extract kit and work my way up. I can see how one can become obsessed with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro