• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 02:07:49 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Can yeasts be swapped to suit ambient temp??

Started by MalachiGH, May 27, 2020, 05:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MalachiGH

Hello all!

My name is Malachi and I have recently got into brewing.

I have so far brewed an ale and a pils using basic brew kits but I hope to get more advanced and technical (I am chemist btw!).

Starting off, I have a question for any savvy folks who might read this. I recently got materials delivered from HomeBrewWest for brewing a lager (1.8 kg lager syrup + 2.4 kg light malt extract + sachet lager hops + sachet "workhorse" lager yeast). I realise now that it's a bit too hot right now to brew a lager (prefers ca. 8-12°C) even in my outdoor shed without a fridge and temp regulator.

I wonder if anyone might advise me on how feasible it would be for me to simply order an ale yeast (which prefers ca. 15-22°C) and use it instead lager yeast to suit the ambient temperature? The fermentables and hops mentioned above would remain the same.

Am I getting a bit too cavalier or could this yeast-swap approach provide a good result?

If this seems like a daft idea, perhaps people might share with me some DIY tricks to keep the fermenter cool? The long term plan is to get a second-hand fridge and temperature regulator, but maybe there are some McGyvers out there with a cool suggestion.

Really looking forward to getting some helpful tips and the chance to have some meet-ups post quarantine.

All the best,
Malachi

pob

Try using Mangrove Jacks M54 California Lager yeast, it'll produce a pretty good lager, California Common or Kolsch at ale temps (18-20°C).

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/mangrove-jacks-yeast-m54-california-lager-yeast-10-g-p-3409.html

MalachiGH

Quote from: pob on May 28, 2020, 10:15:10 AMTry using Mangrove Jacks M54 California Lager yeast, it'll produce a pretty good lager, California Common or Kolsch at ale temps (18-20°C).

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/mangrove-jacks-yeast-m54-california-lager-yeast-10-g-p-3409.html

Hi Pob! Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

I sent an email to HomeBrewWest asking about the operative temp for the lager yeast I got.
They said that the yeast (linked here) which I got is a"general lager yeast and not a true low temp fermenting yeast" so can work at a higher temp.

In that case, perhaps I can proceed with the yeast I have after all.

Thanks for your hint and of course welcome any more advice you may have.

All the best,
Malachi

pob

That yeast is fine. Brew at the lowest temp you can to keep it as clean as possible.

Check what Best Before Date is on the pack, because the only ones of the MJ M10 Workhorse (& M54 Cal Lager) on HBWest were dated Nov 2017!